Mailing List Archive

Chapters business from board meeting
Picking up from my earlier message about the board meeting, I still have
news about chapter-related items on our agenda. First of all, we
approved two new Wikimedia chapters, one in Indonesia and the other in
Brazil. Congratulations and welcome to both!

Another quick piece of business is that Frieda was the board's
representative on the chapters committee. We decided to replace her with
two people instead of just one - both Ting and Kat will be serving on
the committee. In a sense, Ting was chosen because of his interest in
the activity of existing chapters, making sure they function and are
properly supported at the foundation level, and Kat was chosen for her
interest in the building of new chapters, including sub-national ones.
But of course they are equally full members of the committee, not just
there for some specialized question.

What we did decide to do for specialized questions - specifically, the
sub-national chapters issue - is create a working group to help with
those. The board supports the development of sub-national chapters where
this makes sense. To the extent that official encouragement or approval
is still needed for this concept, it's there. We'll happily approve
sub-national chapters that the chapters committee recommends to us. (In
a way, you could say Hong Kong already is one.)

The working group will consist of Kat representing the board, Andrew
Whitworth representing the committee, and Erik representing the staff.
We anticipate that since this approach to creating chapters may prompt
new questions, we'd like the working group to help answer them, and to
give advice and support where needed. However, the working group is not
a separate or additional approval process. Sub-national chapters can
follow the same development process used by the existing chapters.

The staff also outlined a framework that may help deal with issues as
they come up. This document has been shared with the committee and the
other chapters previously. I'll pass along some of the preliminary
answers it offers to potential sub-national chapters questions in a
separate message.

--Michael Snow

Re: Chapters business from board meeting [ In reply to ]
Thanks for that. Was there any discussion about the election process
for the chapter seats on the board? The process seems to have stalled
as far as I can tell (I think what discuss there has been has been in
private, so I'm entirely sure what's going on) and it looks like it
the board need to step in to facilitate an agreement.