necessary and relevant documents with them, and learn more about how to make
this happen.

-jim
Re: New Wiki-idea [ In reply to ]
2008/8/21 James Taylor <taylorjames9@gmail.com>

> Hi-
>
> I have an idea for a wiki that I'd like to see developed by the wikimedia
> foundation. I know that this listserv is good for developing
> ideas, but I don't know who it reaches. I'd rather just talk to one person
> about this project. At this point it has excelled beyond
> a small, private wiki. I'm hoping for someone - hopefully someone at the
> wikimedia foundation - to contact me so I can share the
> necessary and relevant documents with them, and learn more about how to
> make
> this happen.
>
> -jim

What's the project about?

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)
Re: New Wiki-idea [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 8:29 AM, James Taylor <taylorjames9@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I have an idea for a wiki that I'd like to see developed by the wikimedia
> foundation. I know that this listserv is good for developing
> ideas, but I don't know who it reaches. I'd rather just talk to one person
> about this project. At this point it has excelled beyond
> a small, private wiki. I'm hoping for someone - hopefully someone at the
> wikimedia foundation - to contact me so I can share the
> necessary and relevant documents with them, and learn more about how to make
> this happen.

Hi Jim,

New projects are usually proposed on meta. If you havent already,
take a look at the current proposals as someone else might already
have proposed a similar project:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_new_projects

--
John Vandenberg

Re: New Wiki-idea [ In reply to ]
2008/8/22 John Vandenberg <jayvdb@gmail.com>

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 8:29 AM, James Taylor <taylorjames9@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi-
> >
> > I have an idea for a wiki that I'd like to see developed by the wikimedia
> > foundation. I know that this listserv is good for developing
> > ideas, but I don't know who it reaches. I'd rather just talk to one
> person
> > about this project. At this point it has excelled beyond
> > a small, private wiki. I'm hoping for someone - hopefully someone at the
> > wikimedia foundation - to contact me so I can share the
> > necessary and relevant documents with them, and learn more about how to
> make
> > this happen.
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> New projects are usually proposed on meta. If you havent already,
> take a look at the current proposals as someone else might already
> have proposed a similar project:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_new_projects
>
> --
> John Vandenberg

That page is fine for looking at previous proposals, but that page is now
obselete. New projects should be proposed in the form of a brand new page on
meta.

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)
Re: New Wiki-idea [ In reply to ]
Ok - great. I'm really glad I asked.

I took a look at the old wiki projects (including the accepted proposal
for Wikiversity) and none of them necessarily interfere with mine.

So - how do I add the new page to "meta"? (Sorry if I'm slow on the uptake.)

Re: New Wiki-idea [ In reply to ]
2008/8/22 James Taylor <taylorjames9@gmail.com>

> Ok - great. I'm really glad I asked.
>
> I took a look at the old wiki projects (including the accepted proposal
> for Wikiversity) and none of them necessarily interfere with mine.
>
> So - how do I add the new page to "meta"? (Sorry if I'm slow on the
> uptake.)

Go to http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Name_of_your_project

The page should be blank. Click the Create tab at the top. In the text box,
add the info about your proposal, then click save underneath.

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)
Re: New Wiki-idea [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Al Tally <majorly.wiki@googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2008/8/22 John Vandenberg <jayvdb@gmail.com>
>
>> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 8:29 AM, James Taylor <taylorjames9@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi-
>> >
>> > I have an idea for a wiki that I'd like to see developed by the wikimedia
>> > foundation. I know that this listserv is good for developing
>> > ideas, but I don't know who it reaches. I'd rather just talk to one
>> person
>> > about this project. At this point it has excelled beyond
>> > a small, private wiki. I'm hoping for someone - hopefully someone at the
>> > wikimedia foundation - to contact me so I can share the
>> > necessary and relevant documents with them, and learn more about how to
>> make
>> > this happen.
>>
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> New projects are usually proposed on meta. If you havent already,
>> take a look at the current proposals as someone else might already
>> have proposed a similar project:
>>
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_new_projects
>>
>> --
>> John Vandenberg
>>

> That page is fine for looking at previous proposals, but that page is now
> obselete. New projects should be proposed in the form of a brand new page on
> meta.

Uh... is this true? Is there a list or category for new projects,
then? I thought the old proposals list was still going. If people just
randomly start a new project page, how are other people supposed to
find it? Why was the old proposals list protected? The argument that
"we didn't take any of these in the past, therefore we won't take
anything in the future" seems a bit silly. Better to just archive that
page to a subpage and start afresh?

phoebe

Re: New Wiki-idea [ In reply to ]
2008/8/22 phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki@gmail.com>

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Al Tally <majorly.wiki@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > 2008/8/22 John Vandenberg <jayvdb@gmail.com>

> wikimedia
> >> person
> the
> >> make
> >>
> >> Hi Jim,
> >>
> >> New projects are usually proposed on meta. If you havent already,
> >> take a look at the current proposals as someone else might already
> >> have proposed a similar project:
> >>
> >> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_new_projects
> >>
> >> --
> >> John Vandenberg
> >>

> > That page is fine for looking at previous proposals, but that page is now
> > obselete. New projects should be proposed in the form of a brand new page
> on
> > meta.
> >

> Uh... is this true? Is there a list or category for new projects,
> then? I thought the old proposals list was still going. If people just
> randomly start a new project page, how are other people supposed to
> find it? Why was the old proposals list protected? The argument that
> "we didn't take any of these in the past, therefore we won't take
> anything in the future" seems a bit silly. Better to just archive that
> page to a subpage and start afresh?
>
> phoebe

Well the idea was you created the page and then advertised it on this list,
Metapub, or wherever. But of course, I'm open to discussion. How about
bringing it up on Meta?

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)
Re: New Wiki-idea [ In reply to ]
Preferably, that you created the idea, advertised it on this or other lists,
and added it with appropriate metadata to the new project ideas page!

I've cleaned up the page a bit, archived the oldest ones, and added a
reasonably compact template to use for future proposals... some of those are
really good ideas we should get around to implementing.

In particular, I'd like to see us consider a geo-centered wiki (which could
tie into geodata on other projects, help better organize the commons maps,
and improve on the sort of data one can find at wikimapia these days) and a
genealogy wiki (which would be a relief to the thousands of people
struggling on small, mutually incompatible, and often poorly-licensed sites,
and naturally leverage our global extent).

SJ