Mailing List Archive

Re: [Wikimania-l] The Wikimania of my dreams
The mania of my dreams has voice-montages from the public speeches of
various wikimedians to announce the end of sessions / meals /
coffee-times. A 90-min panel on article quality with John Seigenthaler,
Ryan Jordan, Larry Sanger and Mathias Schindler, moderated by Lord
Emsworth. And various covers of the chipmunk-voiced wiki-section of "Jam On
It" as musical theme.

my dreams are troubled dreams.

SJ

Re: [Wikimania-l] The Wikimania of my dreams [ In reply to ]
* involves some techy subjects that talk about what's new and
exciting, rather then project managment around them
* water if it's hot, thee/coffee if it's cold
* lot's of breakout spaces to sit&talk all hours of the night and day
* brainstorming sessions to get people involved rather then just
watching a presentation
* new topics/presenters
* easy get involved/get to know people

Finne/henna

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> etc. (a mix of Frankfurt and Taipei)
>>> -It would have an amazing range of food for lunches, which would be
>>> served in a big room where annoucements and meetings can take place (a
>>> mix of Taipei and Cambridge).
>>> - It would take place in a really "wow" place so that we get speakers
>>> to *want to come* to speak (Harvard or Bibliotheca Alexandrina)
>>> - It would be close to sightseeing stuff for social evenings as
>>> "discovery trips".
>>> - It would have an amazing party location and an amazing party with
>>> dancers with rotating hat-thingies (just like Alexandria!)
>>> - It would host up to 500 people, not more, so I can get to meet
>>> almost all of them. :-)
>>> - And finally, to steal Sj's idea, it would have a giant rotating
>>> Wikipedia globe that people could get into and make roll around like a

"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but
unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"
Re: [Wikimania-l] The Wikimania of my dreams [ In reply to ]
Wikiawards to recognize outstanding members of the community

Re: [Wikimania-l] The Wikimania of my dreams [ In reply to ]
A 100% free software Wikimania.

(Not sent from my iPhone)
Re: [Wikimania-l] The Wikimania of my dreams [ In reply to ]
Oh, and since I'm dreaming, a Wikimania without ads.

--
(Not sent from my iPhone)
Re: [Wikimania-l] The Wikimania of my dreams [ In reply to ]
What non-free software does Wikimania have/use/involve?
As for ads -- do you also mean without "thanks to our sponsors" logos?

qwikly,
SJ

Re: [Wikimania-l] The Wikimania of my dreams [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> Oh, and since I'm dreaming, a Wikimania without ads.

Actually, this is only part of my wildest dreams in which not a single
boundary of reality applies. If I had to choose between a compromise
in any other quality of a conference (food support, venue, entrance
fee, travel scholarship and documentation) and an ad-free environment,
I would accept the ads.

On the contrary, I saw many white spaces at the last conferences,
which could have been used to generate income, which in turn would
have helped to support the conference.

Mathias

Re: [Wikimania-l] The Wikimania of my dreams [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 5:24 AM, Delphine Ménard <notafishz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I woudl like to dedicate this thread to the Wikimania of your dreams.
>
> No argument, no debate, just ideas, a giant brainstorming of what the
> Wikimania of your dreams would be. Please throw your stuff in, and try
> to make it only positive things (ie.write "something that's green"
> rather than "something that's not blue or red".)
>

> here is the Wikimania of my dreams:
>
> -It would be in a city easy to reach, with a big airport and cheap
> flights incoming because it's a huge hub, or it would be next door
> (Frankfurt airport ;-) )
> - It would be in a top-notch conference facility, with tons of plugs
> everywhere, air conditionned if needed, modular conference rooms, all
> in one place and close to the accommodation building (a mix of
> Cambridge, Alexandria for the conference facility, Taipei and
> Frankfurt for access).
> - It would have a great outdoor and indoor community area, with wifi
> that works all the time, with comfy couches as well as ground mats for
> the yoga-types, with coffee, cookies, juices and fresh water available
> at all times. (a mix of Frankfurt and Taipei)
> - It would have all the accommodation in one place, close to the
> conference grounds, or even actually _on_ the conference grounds, and
> it would be cheap but practical, clean and modern accommodation, with
> different possibilities - share a room, not share a room, share a dorm
> etc. (a mix of Frankfurt and Taipei)
> -It would have an amazing range of food for lunches, which would be
> served in a big room where annoucements and meetings can take place (a
> mix of Taipei and Cambridge).
> - It would take place in a really "wow" place so that we get speakers
> to *want to come* to speak (Harvard or Bibliotheca Alexandrina)
> - It would be close to sightseeing stuff for social evenings as
> "discovery trips".
> - It would have an amazing party location and an amazing party with
> dancers with rotating hat-thingies (just like Alexandria!)
> - It would host up to 500 people, not more, so I can get to meet
> almost all of them. :-)
> - And finally, to steal Sj's idea, it would have a giant rotating
> Wikipedia globe that people could get into and make roll around like a
> hamster wheel, just for the fun of it.

This is really a great and helpful thread!

As many times mailing lists threads die a few days after its creation,
would be very productive for the WM 2009 organization team to have
this ideas compiled, so please add your ideas to the Wikimanía 2009
wiki:

http://wikimania2009.wikimedia.org/wiki/The_Wikimania_of_my_dreams

--
Juan David Ruiz

Re: [Wikimania-l] The Wikimania of my dreams [ In reply to ]
Wikimania of my dreams:

Location: Reykjavik (surprisingly cheap airfare from both SF,
Washington/BWI, and Orlando/Sanford!). Alternatively, Nuremberg (one of
my parents was born and grew up there but I've never been, and I hear
the castles are spectacular. Also, isn't there a really big auto racing
ring nearby).
Transportation: Each participant who verifies themselves to the
foundation as a sysop on any Wikimedia project, gets their conference
entrance fee waived. All Foundation employees and board members must be
required to ride Segway scooters the entire time they are at the project.
Food: There must be sushi, bbq, fish and chips, GOOD pizza, doner, and
thai on site. Everything else we can go out for.

Ok, that covers where it is, how to get there, and what I'm eating. Yep
that's about the most important things. Everything else is flexible.

-Dan

Re: [Wikimania-l] The Wikimania of my dreams [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wikimania of my dreams:
>
> Transportation: Each participant who verifies themselves to the
> foundation as a sysop on any Wikimedia project, gets their conference
> entrance fee waived. All Foundation employees and board members must be
> required to ride Segway scooters the entire time they are at the project.

And as usual, bureaucrats, checkusers, and stewards will also be paid
a small attendance bonus, in addition to their annual salaries.

--Andrew Whitworth

Re: [Wikimania-l] The Wikimania of my dreams [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Wikimania of my dreams:
> >
> > Transportation: Each participant who verifies themselves to the
> > foundation as a sysop on any Wikimedia project, gets their conference
> > entrance fee waived. All Foundation employees and board members must be
> > required to ride Segway scooters the entire time they are at the project.
>
> And as usual, bureaucrats, checkusers, and stewards will also be paid
> a small attendance bonus, in addition to their annual salaries.

You don't even have to dream for that part. And Oversights and Developers,
in addition to their travel stipend, get an extra security clearance and
back-stage pass for a guest (presumably, whoever they currently let watch
over their shoulder while oversighting things or manually updating the
databases).

And on a ligher note, +1 to Renata for the need for a Wikipedia-focused
conference -- one of the miniconfs that WMania can spawn.

SJ