Mailing List Archive

Common resources
I think that it would be useful to organize a page or a group of pages
(if it doesn't exist) where we should collect common Wikimedian and
near-to-Wikimedian resources.

At a couple of different places I realized that we have:
* Toolserver (OK, it is known as known fact is that we have WMF
servers, as well as the Office has something), operated by WM DE.
* Polish Toolserver, operated by WM PL.
* WM CH has ability to host mailing lists (I don't know much more;
possibly, they have a server, too).
* Betawiki is not hosted at WMF servers.
* There are some bot servers, operated by volunteers.
* It is possible that some other volunteers or groups would offer
their resources for Wikimedia-related things.

Offices and other kinds of space
* WM DE has the office (WMF has the office, too)
* WM RS is generally able to get a variety of conference rooms,
festival places, even some bigger places *for free*. At the smaller
scale (for up to around 1000 participants), it is able to organize a
place even just one month in advance.
* (Other chapters?)

Other resources
* I heard that Finnish Wikiversity is organized in cooperation with
(some of) their university. So, it means that someone who needs
something (of course, not anything) from one university may ask people
from fi.wv): some data, some bibliography...
* WM RS will have access to archive of all press archive from 2001 up
to present.
* (I am sure that we have a lot of similar deals.)

This is a very divergent list of our common resources... I think that
it would be useful to gather all of them at one or a couple of Meta
pages.

Re: Common resources [ In reply to ]
I understand you want to limit yourself to materialistic resources? :)

Re: Common resources [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:32 AM, effe iets anders
<effeietsanders@gmail.com> wrote:
> I understand you want to limit yourself to materialistic resources? :)

One of the very often repeated sentences in one Marxist state was that
"we need material basis for spiritual development" (I am not sure that
"spiritual" is the right translation; but it is a common Marxist
sentence).

But, to be honest, I really don't worry about our human resources :)

So, let's try to find what amount of material basis do we have, so we
would be able to build our spiritual development ;)

Re: Common resources [ In reply to ]
My experience within Wikimedia Nederland is though that things get
slow or not at all due to lack of those non-materialistic resources...
I think those are very important to consider, even if you can't list
them extensively. (At least, they are imho more important then all
locations we could get a grip on, which might approach infinity at the
end :) )

BR, Lodewijk

Re: Common resources [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that it would be useful to organize a page or a group of pages
> (if it doesn't exist) where we should collect common Wikimedian and
> near-to-Wikimedian resources.

We should also include every outside website where Wikimedia or one of
the projects has an official or unofficial "embassy".

Thanks,
Pharos