and at http://blog.anthere.org/

Unfortunately, many people on Commons don't believed that this might be true
and the view uploaded images were requested for deletion ( See
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=Project%3AWEF )

This situation should be clarified as soon as possible, otherwise all
uploaded pictures on Commons from WEF might be deleted, and it would be
really a pity.

Guérin Nicolas
Re: Pictures with free license about the World Economic Forum 2007 (WEF 2007) [ In reply to ]
I can confirm that this is valid. I asked them to do this, although I
have no idea if my asking had any impact on their decision.

--Jimbo

Re: Pictures with free license about the World Economic Forum 2007 (WEF 2007) [ In reply to ]
On 28/03/2008, Nicolas Guérin <nguerin.zurich@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, many people on Commons don't believed that this might be true
> and the view uploaded images were requested for deletion ( See
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=Project%3AWEF )

Best place to alert to stuff like this is commons-l, where a lot of
experienced Commons regulars will see it. (I forwarded your message
there.)

- d.

Re: Pictures with free license about the World Economic Forum 2007 (WEF 2007) [ In reply to ]
Nicolas Guérin wrote:
> The last World Economic Forum in Davos released on Flickr some pictures
> about "very important people" with a free license compatible with Commons.
> It seems that they intentionally released such pictures to be uploaded on
> Commons, as this seems to be confirmed at
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Benjism89/WEF
> and at http://blog.anthere.org/
>
> Unfortunately, many people on Commons don't believed that this might be true
> and the view uploaded images were requested for deletion ( See
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=Project%3AWEF )
>
> This situation should be clarified as soon as possible, otherwise all
> uploaded pictures on Commons from WEF might be deleted, and it would be
> really a pity.
>
> Guérin Nicolas

The situation IS clear.

Benjism contacted them by email to double check:
Their answer is copy pasted here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Benjism89/WEF

I also sent special thank you to the organizer of the technology
pioneers. He did not answer "no, actually, Matthias Lüfkens is a banned
organizer, and the Flickr licenses are just misleading on purpose".

Ant

Re: Pictures with free license about the World Economic Forum 2007 (WEF 2007) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

The situation IS indeed clear. As I was surprised by the licence I had
seen on those pictures on Flickr, I sent them a mail to check there
wasn't a mistake. They have actually done that on purpose so that
Wikimedia projects could use those pictures. And the fact that the
Flickr account does belong to the WEF makes no doubt, as there is a link
from the WEF's website to that Flickr account.

Yours,

Benjamin, aka Benjism89

Re: Pictures with free license about the World Economic Forum 2007 (WEF 2007) [ In reply to ]
Florence Devouard a écrit :
<snip>
> I also sent special thank you to the organizer of the technology
> pioneers. He did not answer "no, actually, Matthias Lüfkens is a banned
> organizer, and the Flickr licenses are just misleading on purpose".

Time for a press release maybe ? :o)

--
Ashar Voultoiz