Subject: Khosla presser
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:55:18 -0400
From: Jay Walsh <jwalsh@wikimedia.org>
To: Sue Gardner <sgardner@wikimedia.org>

*Wikimedia Foundation Receives $500K Donation*

Vinod and Neeru Khosla, innovators in educational outreach, provide
financial support to the Wikimedia Foundation.

San Francisco, CA - March 24, 2008 – The Wikimedia Foundation, the
non-profit organization behind Wikipedia, is delighted to announce it
has received a $500,000 donation from philanthropists Vinod and Neeru
Khosla.

"We are thrilled and very grateful," said Sue Gardner, Executive
Director of the Wikimedia Foundation. "Vinod and Neeru share the
Wikimedia Foundation's vision: a world in which every single human being
can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. Today, they have moved us
closer to making that vision a reality."

"Vinod and I are proud to help Wikipedia, a valuable global educational
resource," said Neeru Khosla, co-founder and chair of CK12, a non-profit
organization supporting the worldwide creation of "flexbooks,"
collaborative, open-source textbooks. "Wikipedia proves that mass
collaboration works, and that small investments can reap extraordinary
returns. We are happy to be a part of it."

The gift comes at a critical time in the history of Wikimedia, which has
just relocated to San Francisco to be closer to Bay Area technical
talent, like-minded non-profit organizations, and educational and
research institutions.

"Moving to San Francisco was an essential step in the maturing of the
organization," said Gardner. "Now that we are here, and have built a
great team of smart people, we're well-positioned to make significant
progress."

Wikipedia, the world's largest encyclopedia and one of the 10 most
popular websites world-wide, is written, edited and maintained entirely
by a global community of thousands of volunteers. It was founded in 2001
by Jimmy Wales. The Wikimedia Foundation, founded in 2003, has a staff
of 15, and provides organizational support for Wikipedia and eight other
collaboratively-created
information projects.

In coming years, the Wikimedia Foundation plans to launch outreach
projects designed to encourage contributions to Wikipedia from targeted
groups such as academics, speakers of small languages, people in
developing nations and older people. It also plans to increase the
distribution of material from Wikipedia and its other projects in
non-web-based formats such as DVDs and books, to provide information for
people who are not online.

About the Wikimedia Foundation http://wikimediafoundation.org

The Wikimedia Foundation Inc. is a nonprofit charitable organization
dedicated to encouraging the growth, development and distribution of
free, multilingual content, and to providing the full content of its
wiki-based projects to the public free of charge. It operates some of
the largest
collaboratively-edited reference projects in the world, including
Wikipedia, one of the world's 10
most-visited websites.

For a full list of projects, visit
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Our_projects

All projects of the Wikimedia Foundation are collaboratively developed
by volunteers using the MediaWiki software. Their content may be freely
used, freely edited, freely copied and freely redistributed subject to
the restrictions of that license.

More information

* CK12, Flex Books for every student <http://www.ck12.org/>
* Wikimania 2008 <http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org>
* Wikipedia Academies in South Africa, an example for Wikimedia outreach
events <http://icommons.org/academies>

Press inquiries:

jwalsh@wikimedia.org
+1 415-839-6885

Regional press contacts in other languages can be found at

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_room#Official_chapters
--
Jay Walsh
Head of Communications

Re: [Announcement] Wikimedia Foundation Receives $500K Donation [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Sue Gardner <sgardner@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> More good news! Again, please join us in celebration :-)
>
> Jay has either just put this out as a press release, or he will shortly.

Great news! I would like to say also, thank you Sue for keeping the
community so well informed! It is very much appreciated. :D

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion

Re: [Announcement] Wikimedia Foundation Receives $500KDonation [ In reply to ]
...and the money keeps rolling in!

This speaks highly of our staff at the Foundation, and I -for one - am
grateful to them.

Philippe

Re: [Announcement] Wikimedia Foundation Receives $500K Donation [ In reply to ]

Excellent. :)

Jon
./scream

Re: [Announcement] Wikimedia Foundation Receives $500K Donation [ In reply to ]
Once again, congratulations are in order! Looks like some excellent
hiring choices were made.

Re: [Announcement] Wikimedia Foundation Receives $500K Donation [ In reply to ]
Thomas Dalton wrote:
> Once again, congratulations are in order! Looks like some excellent
> hiring choices were made.

Yes... I had no doubt!

:)

Jon
./scream

Re: [Announcement] Wikimedia Foundation Receives $500KDonation [ In reply to ]
On 27/03/2008, Philippe Beaudette <philippebeaudette@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...and the money keeps rolling in!
> This speaks highly of our staff at the Foundation, and I -for one - am
> grateful to them.

Indeed. There's idiotic gossipy noise in the press, and then there's
getting on with actual work. This is why addressing the idiotic
gossipy noise is largely a waste of time.

- d.