Mailing List Archive

[Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years
Hi folks,

I’m delighted to tell you that yesterday, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation board of directors voted to award the Wikimedia Foundation USD 1 million annually for the coming three years. A total of USD 3 million, spread over three years.

This is what Sloan characterizes as "institutional funding" - meaning, a form of grant designed to help us work towards our general goals – in our case, financial and operational sustainability, increasing quality, increasing and broadening participation, and distributing our material beyond the wiki environment. As you know, we’ve recently expanded the staff from 10 to 15, and we still have a few more positions to fill: this funding will offset those increased costs.

This is _fabulous_ news. Sloan is high-profile and widely-respected: this donation is financially significant for us, and it also signals that Sloan sees our work as important and our organization as trustworthy.

I’d like to take a moment to thank Erik Moeller, who developed our first contact with Sloan through his work representing Wikimedia on the Encyclopedia of Life's institutional council. (Sloan is an EOL funder.) Based on that initial relationship, in January Sloan invited Erik to present to them about Wikimedia, after which they asked us for a formal request for funding. Without Erik, this would not have happened. Yay, Erik :-)

We will be sending out a press release in a few hours, and I will also send this note to foundation-l soon. Meanwhile, please join the staff and board of the Wikimedia Foundation in celebrating this terrific news!

Thanks,
Sue

--

Sue Gardner
Executive Director,

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
This is very very very very veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy good news!! Thanks
Erik, and the rest of the team!!

Waerth

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
On 25/03/2008, Waerth <waerth@asianet.co.th> wrote:
> This is very very very very veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy good news!! Thanks
> Erik, and the rest of the team!!

Maybe but [[Alfred P. Sloan]] needs work and we don't have a free pic.

--
geni

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
That is so awesome. Nice work Erik!

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1mannually for three years [ In reply to ]
Fantastic!!

Philippe

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
This is also the first indication I've seen that this ginormous new
Foundation might actually work! It seems to give us credibility.

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
I am glad that it is the enterprise of the Foundation that ensures that we
do not need advertisements. Yay
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
Congratulations Erik and others.

-Robert Rohde

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
Excellent news indeed. Congratulations to all, and to the projects! SJ

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
Wow! I almost can't believe it. Great!!! :D

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
Sue Gardner wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I’m delighted to tell you that yesterday, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation board of directors voted to award the Wikimedia Foundation USD 1 million annually for the coming three years. A total of USD 3 million, spread over three years.
>
> This is what Sloan characterizes as "institutional funding" - meaning, a form of grant designed to help us work towards our general goals – in our case, financial and operational sustainability, increasing quality, increasing and broadening participation, and distributing our material beyond the wiki environment. As you know, we’ve recently expanded the staff from 10 to 15, and we still have a few more positions to fill: this funding will offset those increased costs.
>
> This is _fabulous_ news. Sloan is high-profile and widely-respected: this donation is financially significant for us, and it also signals that Sloan sees our work as important and our organization as trustworthy.
>
> I’d like to take a moment to thank Erik Moeller, who developed our first contact with Sloan through his work representing Wikimedia on the Encyclopedia of Life's institutional council. (Sloan is an EOL funder.) Based on that initial relationship, in January Sloan invited Erik to present to them about Wikimedia, after which they asked us for a formal request for funding. Without Erik, this would not have happened. Yay, Erik :-)
>
> We will be sending out a press release in a few hours, and I will also send this note to foundation-l soon. Meanwhile, please join the staff and board of the Wikimedia Foundation in celebrating this terrific news!
>
> Thanks,
> Sue
>

> --
>
> Sue Gardner
> Executive Director,
> Wikimedia Foundation

Thank you Sue. That's awesome news. Congrats to Erik for the job.

Ant

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
This is a wonderful milestone in the life of the Foundation.
Congratulations to all! -Brad

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
On 26/03/2008, Sue Gardner <sgardner@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> We will be sending out a press release in a few hours, and I will also send this note to foundation-l soon. Meanwhile, please join the staff and board of the Wikimedia Foundation in celebrating this terrific news!

Congrats and thankyou to Sue and Erik. Wow wow wow.
This is a good time for such a great lift in the community. I feel
like I've been walking on clouds on morning after hearing it. Can only
imagine you guys are that much more ecstatic!

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
Brianna Laugher wrote:
> On 26/03/2008, Sue Gardner <sgardner@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> We will be sending out a press release in a few hours, and I will also send this note to foundation-l soon. Meanwhile, please join the staff and board of the Wikimedia Foundation in celebrating this terrific news!
>>

> Congrats and thankyou to Sue and Erik. Wow wow wow.
> This is a good time for such a great lift in the community. I feel
> like I've been walking on clouds on morning after hearing it. Can only
> imagine you guys are that much more ecstatic!
>
> cheers
> Brianna

Outstanding. :)

Jon
Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
You're going to start paying admins now, right?

--John Reaves

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Sue Gardner <sgardner@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm delighted to tell you that yesterday, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation board of directors voted to award the Wikimedia Foundation USD 1 million annually for the coming three years. A total of USD 3 million, spread over three years.
>
> This is what Sloan characterizes as "institutional funding" - meaning, a form of grant designed to help us work towards our general goals – in our case, financial and operational sustainability, increasing quality, increasing and broadening participation, and distributing our material beyond the wiki environment. As you know, we've recently expanded the staff from 10 to 15, and we still have a few more positions to fill: this funding will offset those increased costs.

This is fantastic, congratulations to all. Perhaps this can provide
the needed operational cushion to also start fundraising for an
endowment that will support us for years to come.

-- Phoebe

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Sue Gardner <sgardner@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm delighted to tell you that yesterday, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation board of directors voted to award the Wikimedia Foundation USD 1 million annually for the coming three years. A total of USD 3 million, spread over three years.
>
> This is what Sloan characterizes as "institutional funding" - meaning, a form of grant designed to help us work towards our general goals – in our case, financial and operational sustainability, increasing quality, increasing and broadening participation, and distributing our material beyond the wiki environment. As you know, we've recently expanded the staff from 10 to 15, and we still have a few more positions to fill: this funding will offset those increased costs.
>
> This is _fabulous_ news. Sloan is high-profile and widely-respected: this donation is financially significant for us, and it also signals that Sloan sees our work as important and our organization as trustworthy.
>
> I'd like to take a moment to thank Erik Moeller, who developed our first contact with Sloan through his work representing Wikimedia on the Encyclopedia of Life's institutional council. (Sloan is an EOL funder.) Based on that initial relationship, in January Sloan invited Erik to present to them about Wikimedia, after which they asked us for a formal request for funding. Without Erik, this would not have happened. Yay, Erik :-)
>
> We will be sending out a press release in a few hours, and I will also send this note to foundation-l soon. Meanwhile, please join the staff and board of the Wikimedia Foundation in celebrating this terrific news!
>
> Thanks,
> Sue
>

> --
>
> Sue Gardner
> Executive Director,
> Wikimedia Foundation

Very, very good news. And what geni, said, we need a free pic!

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:00 AM, Bryan Tong Minh
<bryan.tongminh@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Sue Gardner <sgardner@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm delighted to tell you that yesterday, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation board of directors voted to award the Wikimedia Foundation USD 1 million annually for the coming three years. A total of USD 3 million, spread over three years.
> >
> > This is what Sloan characterizes as "institutional funding" - meaning, a form of grant designed to help us work towards our general goals – in our case, financial and operational sustainability, increasing quality, increasing and broadening participation, and distributing our material beyond the wiki environment. As you know, we've recently expanded the staff from 10 to 15, and we still have a few more positions to fill: this funding will offset those increased costs.
> >
> > This is _fabulous_ news. Sloan is high-profile and widely-respected: this donation is financially significant for us, and it also signals that Sloan sees our work as important and our organization as trustworthy.
> >
> > I'd like to take a moment to thank Erik Moeller, who developed our first contact with Sloan through his work representing Wikimedia on the Encyclopedia of Life's institutional council. (Sloan is an EOL funder.) Based on that initial relationship, in January Sloan invited Erik to present to them about Wikimedia, after which they asked us for a formal request for funding. Without Erik, this would not have happened. Yay, Erik :-)
> >
> > We will be sending out a press release in a few hours, and I will also send this note to foundation-l soon. Meanwhile, please join the staff and board of the Wikimedia Foundation in celebrating this terrific news!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sue
> >

> > --
> >
> > Sue Gardner
> > Executive Director,
> > Wikimedia Foundation

> Very, very good news. And what geni, said, we need a free pic!

Congratulations to Erik and everyone who worked on this. I hope this
is a step on the road toward a permanent endowment and a
perpetually-funded Wikimedia. I believe the work we do here is of
great importance, and it is good to see that it will continue for the
foreseeable future.

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
Great work foundation! Conny...
Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
Major congratulations to everyone involved at the Foundation,
this is certainly a good piece of news. If nothing else, this
certainly helps solidify the monetary base on which the WMF
rests.

Out of curiosity, I read some information on their website
yesterday. Seems like a very good organization dedicated
to a great number of worthy projects and research.

All the best,

Chad

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
This is great.
With several more of those grants we might even consider that our
mission/vision is possible without adds.
Remember our mission: "Imagine a world in which every single human being can
freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment."
I really hope that we can work on the part of "every single human being" and
not just those people which enjoy the safety of western social security
safety nets and bring knowledge to the people who really need it, with the
help of a sound and healthy foundation and development of the best
wiki-software available.

This news brings some confidence that the mission is indeed meaning
something, until now I was not so sure.

Londenp.

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
Congratulations, all round! I'm especially pleased to see that this
isn't just a one off - we have greater financial security for 3 years,
guaranteed! I'd also like to repeat what others have said: This
greater security means we might soon be able to start building up an
endowment, which is essential to the long term survival and
independence of the foundation.

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
Yes, saving for the future is wise, even if it is just $100 a month.

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
On 26/03/2008, Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes, saving for the future is wise, even if it is just $100 a month.

I'm not sure $100/month is going to cut it... it might help for
building up a contingency fund (slowly), but not an endowment. For an
endowment you need enough so that you get enough interest that you can
get by without having to touch the capital - that requires quite a
large sum.

Re: [Announcement] Sloan awards Wikimedia USD 1m annually for three years [ In reply to ]
Thank you, Erik, for your all hard works which has realized this
amazing results. And for all who have been involved. Congratulations
to all, to us all who are vital parts of this project. Hail ourselves
:)

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:20 AM, Sue Gardner <sgardner@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm delighted to tell you that yesterday, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation board of directors voted to award the Wikimedia Foundation USD 1 million annually for the coming three years. A total of USD 3 million, spread over three years.
>
> This is what Sloan characterizes as "institutional funding" - meaning, a form of grant designed to help us work towards our general goals – in our case, financial and operational sustainability, increasing quality, increasing and broadening participation, and distributing our material beyond the wiki environment. As you know, we've recently expanded the staff from 10 to 15, and we still have a few more positions to fill: this funding will offset those increased costs.
>
> This is _fabulous_ news. Sloan is high-profile and widely-respected: this donation is financially significant for us, and it also signals that Sloan sees our work as important and our organization as trustworthy.
>
> I'd like to take a moment to thank Erik Moeller, who developed our first contact with Sloan through his work representing Wikimedia on the Encyclopedia of Life's institutional council. (Sloan is an EOL funder.) Based on that initial relationship, in January Sloan invited Erik to present to them about Wikimedia, after which they asked us for a formal request for funding. Without Erik, this would not have happened. Yay, Erik :-)
>
> We will be sending out a press release in a few hours, and I will also send this note to foundation-l soon. Meanwhile, please join the staff and board of the Wikimedia Foundation in celebrating this terrific news!
>
> Thanks,
> Sue
>

> --
>
> Sue Gardner