Mailing List Archive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Stroop_Report_-_Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising_06b.jpg
White Cat wrote:
> Joke aside, what kind of an advertisement
> would we put on an article on the second world war or a pharaoh from
ancient
> Egypt.
Jimbo Wales wrote:
Just for discussion purposes, the two ads I see on google right now for
"World War II" are for the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, and
for World War II History magazine.
******

The United States Holocoaust Memorial Museum has a symbiotic relationship
with Wikipedia also, but in a way that raises no objections. The image
below is featured in different versions (restored and unrestored) on both
Commons and en:Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Stroop_Report_-_Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising_06b.jpg

Originally en:Wikipedia had featured a smaller version of that image and in
January 2008 its featured status was under review due to size issues. I
contacted the museum and they uploaded a higher resolution version. This
was a generous act on their part because the Museum relies on the sale of
high resolution images for part of its operating funds. In return they're
credited as the source with an outgoing link to their website, and at some
point the image will spend a day on the main page.

Most well-established nonprofit organizations have a standard means of
giving a tasteful thank-you to donors. As anyone who's watched U.S. public
television knows, that's not the same as advertising. Has anyone at
Wikipedia done a survey of how successful nonprofit websites resolve this?
I checked out the PBS and USHMM websites and looked at a few of their
solutions.
http://www.shoppbs.org/home/index.jsp
http://www.pbs.org/search/search_results.html?q=sponsors

http://www.ushmm.org/museum/press/archives/detail.php?category=04-development&content=2008-02-25
http://www.ushmm.org/museum/press/archives/detail.php?category=04-development&content=2007-10-03

-Durova
> The United States Holocoaust Memorial Museum has a symbiotic relationship
> with Wikipedia also, but in a way that raises no objections. The image
> below is featured in different versions (restored and unrestored) on both
> Commons and en:Wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Stroop_Report_-_Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising_06b.jpg

Durova, I'm very pleased to see this kind of image being featured, but
I'm wondering what kind of licence you used. Several of us have had
lots of problems with Holocaust images, forced to claim fair use
because of the age and lack of a release, but with fair use sometimes
contested too, because we often don't know who the copyright holder
is.

Sarah

SlimVirgin wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Durova <nadezhda.durova@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The United States Holocoaust Memorial Museum has a symbiotic relationship
>> with Wikipedia also, but in a way that raises no objections. The image
>> below is featured in different versions (restored and unrestored) on both
>> Commons and en:Wikipedia:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Stroop_Report_-_Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising_06b.jpg
>>
> Durova, I'm very pleased to see this kind of image being featured, but
> I'm wondering what kind of licence you used. Several of us have had
> lots of problems with Holocaust images, forced to claim fair use
> because of the age and lack of a release, but with fair use sometimes
> contested too, because we often don't know who the copyright holder
> is.
Sometimes we outsmart ourselves with the extent that we abide by a
strict reading of copyright laws. The irony here is that a photograph
taken by someone working in the employ of the Nazi government is clearly
in the public domain. On the other hand a sympathetic private snapshot
taken no later than 1945 by an unidentifiable individual who may with
all his descendants have met a dreadful fate is tied up in red tape for
many years yet over such things as the US non-recognition of the rule of
the shorter term. Who are we protecting with this?

Ec