Mailing List Archive

Re: Free knowledge and human rights
"In honor of David's concerns, I have decided to make the title of my own talk at Wikimania 2008 "Free knowledge and human rights" and I will use this opportunity to speak out against censorship and other violations of human rights around the world, including examples from Egypt." --Jimbo

Jimbo, I belive you have adopted the best possible attitude towards the issue raised by David. It is not because the internet is censored in many places that we shouldn't try to improve it with wikimedia projects, and it's not because some countries denies main basic rights such as freedom of speech that their population shall be left aside with their difficult conditions. If it can be an opportunity to advocate human rights in the country, I applaude strongly. But if the wish to make the event in Egypt makes the organizers try to censor human rights talks in order not to get any trouble from the authorities, I say hell NO!