Mailing List Archive

Is vpnc compatible with Fortinet Endpoints
Hi there,
I have some customers asking for a VPN client compatible with Fortinet endpoints. Can vpnc be used with these gateways?

Best regards,
Fabian
Re: Is vpnc compatible with Fortinet Endpoints [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 17:09:40 +0200
Fabian Jäger <fabian@feingeist.io> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I have some customers asking for a VPN client compatible with Fortinet endpoints. Can vpnc be used with these gateways?
>
> Best regards,
> Fabian

My company is using fortinet gateways and it does work, but the latest
endpoint sw update broke it. I think that the endpoint is sending a
bogus ipsec payload in one place and instead of ignoring it vpnc
asserts and crashes.

I sent a vpnc patch to the list in June to make it just ignore the bogus
payload instead of asserting and that works around the problem, but I
can't seem to get any response from the maintainers. Check the list
archives for the patch if you're interested.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@poochiereds.net>

Re: Is vpnc compatible with Fortinet Endpoints [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your response.

I am definitely interested in that patch (I already saw it before), but it would be even better if it was integrated into the vpnc trunk.

Best regards,
Fabian

Re: Is vpnc compatible with Fortinet Endpoints [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 14:00:11 +0200
Fabian Jäger <fabian@feingeist.io> wrote:

> Thanks for your response.
>
> I am definitely interested in that patch (I already saw it before), but it would be even better if it was integrated into the vpnc trunk.
>
> Best regards,
> Fabian

Agreed. I'd like to get this patch merged into Fedora as well, but they
won't touch it unless it's merged into the vpnc trunk either...

-- Jeff

Re: Is vpnc compatible with Fortinet Endpoints [ In reply to ]
What's the process of integrating patches into trunk? Looks like there's not that much activity at all. I'd also like to have the phase1 rekey and TOS copy that I've submitted in June included. Especially the p1 rekey is something that is quite helpful, imho since it's explicitly mentioned as '* implement phase1 rekeying (with or without xauth-reauthentication)' in the current TODO.

Thanks,
-ralph

Re: Is vpnc compatible with Fortinet Endpoints [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2015-09-21 at 17:18 +0200, Ralph Schmieder wrote:
> What's the process of integrating patches into trunk? Looks like there's not that much activity at all. I'd also like to have the phase1 rekey and TOS copy that I've submitted in June included. Especially the p1 rekey is something that is quite helpful, imho since it's explicitly mentioned as '* implement phase1 rekeying (with or without xauth-reauthentication)' in the current TODO.

The process is basically whenever Antonio has time he'll review the
patch and either request changes or merge it. But that's a very slow
process; it's probably worth asking if he would like help with that.

Dan