Mailing List Archive

VNC as application server
Of course, first of all, big kudos to ORL for releasing VNC.

Now for the begging..

What I'd like is to have an NT application server, running several
applications for different end-users on different (Linux) machines.

Any clues on how to do this (if at all possible) ?

I tried with 'VDESK', which is included in Microsoft's NT Server
Resource Kit (#2), but that wasn't satisfactory.

I installed VDESK, logged in as myself on the main desktop,
again as myself on desktop #2, and as Administrator on
desktop #3. So far, so good.

Then I started VNC on desktop #3 (as Administrator), set that
to VNC display '2', and accessed that from a Unix box.
I then tried to start a VNC on the main desktop, but that one
complained that there was already a VNC running. :(

However, VNC seems to work with VNC (I could switch desktops
through a vncviewer as long as they were owned by the same user), but
this doesn't seem a viable option for multiple concurrent users
through VNC.

Ideas, anyone ?

Soggie.

Ivo Clarysse <soggie@starlab.net>, Tel: +32-2-7215454
Research Assistant Fax: +32-2-7215380
Riverland Research, Starlab, Massive Lab, http://www.massivelab.com/
PGP ID: 50154325 | A0A0 EDBC 37B2 C574 CC4D F1F0 FF94 04B9 5015 4325
Re: VNC as application server [ In reply to ]
> Any clues on how to do this (if at all possible) ?

The web pages explicitly state that what you want to do is not
supported, and they encourage capable programmers to take on the task of
extending VNC/Win32 in this respect. Maybe using VDESK (which I haven't
heard about before) is a good start...

--
Robert Schmidt <rsc@vingmed.no>
Software Developer / Vingmed Sound tel +47 67124237 fax +47 67124355

jeg lukker et oye og ser halvt
jeg lukker begge og ser alt -- seigmen