Mailing List Archive

Newbie Support - Automating File Transfer(s)
Greetings,

I run websites for about 100 auto repair shops. The owners of these shops
(my clients) all use one of about 5 industry software solutions for
managing their customers, work orders, etc. These software solutions are
set up to back up their data to a file that is stored on the shops'
computers.

What I need is a way to automate a file upload from their business computer
to my server every night. Does VNC offer this type of functionality? If so
which product do I purchase?

Thanks so much.

--
Tom Hall / TMH Design
707 237 7412
RE: Newbie Support - Automating File Transfer(s) [ In reply to ]
What I need is a way to automate a file upload from their business
computer
to my server every night. Does VNC offer this type of functionality? If
so
which product do I purchase?

Thanks so much.

--
Tom Hall / TMH Design
707 237 7412
tom@tmhdesign.com

Tom:

What U need is a scheduled job that copies this file from your
customers's computers to your server. VNC is meant for visualizing
the desktop of a remote computer, not file transfer. There are
some remote desktop visualization packages out there that will do
file transfer, but there are usually better options (sftp, ftp
through an SSL tunnel, etc.) which U can set up on a
customer-by-customer basis. Since there are only five or so
variations, U could write an install script that automates
installation of an upload script, with email notification upon
failure (customer changed default folder, etc.). The upload script
can run using "Scheduled Tasks" on WinXP, or cron using Linux (and
possibly Mac).

Thx, Phil Long

Goss ... Innovation for Business

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential and proprietary information of Goss International Corporation and/or its subsidiaries and may be legally privileged. This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or other use of this e-mail or any of its content is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender immediately and destroy the e-mail and any copies. All liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. No contract may be construed by this e-mail.