Mailing List Archive

Limit number of Xvnc processes that user can start per node - Enterprise VNC
Is there a way to restrict how many Xvnc processes user can start on single Linux node?

If yes, what configuration parameter that should be changed to:
1) check for the presense of the Xvnc process already running as user before starting a new one,
2) if such process is found, report back with message like "Running VNC server on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:N".

One vncserver per user/per node is enough for our environment since all nodes are the same. The reason for this restriction is that VNC with Gnome eats up resources. Therefore, ideally we would like to limit the number of Xvnc processes that one can start, and not see 'vnclicense -check' return 5 desktops for the same user like below.
$ vnclicense -check
4/30 desktops.
user1 : 1 desktops.
user2 : 5 desktops.
user3 : 1 desktops.
user4 : 1 desktops.

We re running VNC(r) Server Enterprise Edition E4.5.4 (r41964) on a multinode Linux cluster. Our vncserver code is a binary.

Thank you,
Julia

New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates Direct contact information
for affiliates is available at
for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are
your system.