Mailing List Archive

"Connection closed" right after authentication
Hello list,
It's the first time for me here, I have been using realvnc for years and
I am very satisfied about it, so many thanks to the developers ;-)

My problem: when I try to connect to a windows 7 pro, running realvnc
server 4.1.3 free edition, the client asks me for the password, I enter
the password and the message "Connection closed" pops up.

I think the problem relies on the server side: I notice that there is no
vnc icon in the taskbar even if the service is running, does it mean
anything useful?

Things I have tried but didn't solve the problem:

I have disabled the firewall on both the server and the client.
Disabled Fast user Switching on the server
On the server, added a rule to Windows Defender to exclude the C:
\program....\vnc folder (should not care, should it?)

The client is a Vinagre 2.30.2 on Linux Ubuntu, but also using realvnc
viewer from a WinXP Pro machine gives the same error (well, slightly
different: "The connection closed unexpectedly")

Each time I try to connect, on the server side two events are logged:

1) Connections accepted: <ip-of-the-client>::50371
2) Connections closed: <ip-of-the-client>::50371 (Unable to connect
session to Console: Access denied. (5))

In both the events, the number after "::" is the same, but it varies
from time to time (I saw 53345, 1037, and others)

Thank you for your help
Andrea

Re: "Connection closed" right after authentication [ In reply to ]
On Thu April 7 2011, Andrea Vai wrote:
> Hello list,
> It's the first time for me here, I have been using realvnc for years and
> I am very satisfied about it, so many thanks to the developers ;-)
>
> My problem: when I try to connect to a windows 7 pro, running realvnc
> server 4.1.3 free edition, the client asks me for the password, I enter
> the password and the message "Connection closed" pops up.
>
> I think the problem relies on the server side: I notice that there is no
> vnc icon in the taskbar even if the service is running, does it mean
> anything useful?
>
> Things I have tried but didn't solve the problem:
>
> I have disabled the firewall on both the server and the client.
> Disabled Fast user Switching on the server
> On the server, added a rule to Windows Defender to exclude the C:
> \program....\vnc folder (should not care, should it?)
>
> The client is a Vinagre 2.30.2 on Linux Ubuntu, but also using realvnc
> viewer from a WinXP Pro machine gives the same error (well, slightly
> different: "The connection closed unexpectedly")
>
> Each time I try to connect, on the server side two events are logged:
>
> 1) Connections accepted: <ip-of-the-client>::50371
> 2) Connections closed: <ip-of-the-client>::50371 (Unable to connect
> session to Console: Access denied. (5))
>
> In both the events, the number after "::" is the same, but it varies
> from time to time (I saw 53345, 1037, and others)
>
> Thank you for your help
> Andrea

Not sure, but I'm going to guess that this is a Windows Protection problem.
You may have to go into the Security controls and specifically allow
VNCserver. I don't have access to a Windows 7 system right now, so this is
just a guess.

Re: "Connection closed" right after authentication [ In reply to ]
My 2 cents....

"RealVNC Free" isn't compatible nor with Vista and nor with Seven. In
the free environment you'd try something like TightVNC or TigerVNC or
UltraVNC....

Bye,
Claudio.