Mailing List Archive

Server
I have installed the server, however cannot get it to work, 'Access
Denied'!

RE: Server [ In reply to ]

Hi Thomas,

That's incredibly vague. What setup are you running? Are you accessing the
server over WAN or LAN? Are you using Windows authentication, a VNC password
or some other authentication scheme? Are you using standard application
ports? Are you clicking your heels three times before attempting to login?
;)

Re: Server [ In reply to ]
On 28-1-2010 15:06, Thomas Atkinson wrote:
> I have installed the server, however cannot get it to work, 'Access
> Denied'!

For a small test: disable the firewall (on both server and desktop) and
try again. If this works, open port 5900 (the default) in the firewall.

If with no firewall at all still problems, look at the configuration of
the server, specially around the password and other access options.

Success

CBee

RE: Server [ In reply to ]
> 4.1, WAN, VNC password, port 1000, I can't actually get the
> server to start in the first place in service mode!

VNC Enterprise Edition or regular? I assume you've already ensured your port
forwards / firewall rules are ok? (is this on a colo server or in-office
machine - what OS are you running? By default VNC server uses Windows
authentication credentials.

It might help to listen to the network traffic if possible on the remote end
to see if VNC traffic is making it to the box or not. Also, I'd prefer to
use a default VNC port on the server itself and just portforward external
requests on the custom port (but that's just my way of doing it).

Out of curiosity is there any particular reason for changing the listening
port?

RE: Server [ In reply to ]
> I can't listen, as the remote access in on my phone! Home
> network, vista Home Premium, no, there is no reason exept
> easier to enter!

How are you connected - are you using your phone's data connection to
connect to the Internet? If so, your mobile data package *may* have all
non-standard ports blocked (T-Mobile in the UK blocks everything except
email and http on their cheapest package) but there could still be another
problem.

Could you give us a little more information about your network setup on the
remote network?