Mailing List Archive

java pages do not show
When I connect to my PC at work and then try to download fixes from IBM on my work computer, their website uses java for the login and download pages, but I cannot see anything on those java web pages via VNC. Any ideas?
Re: java pages do not show [ In reply to ]
On 9-1-2010 22:08, Ken McGrew wrote:
> When I connect to my PC at work and then try to download fixes from IBM on my work computer, their website uses java for the login and download pages, but I cannot see anything on those java web pages via VNC. Any ideas?

If you can see the webpage but you cannot see the desktop, then
typically you have not opened all ports.

For the vnc-website you need to open both the webinterface (default at
5800) and the vnc-port (default at 5900).

Now you have access to the website, you can dive into the html-source
(just a few lines of reasonably reading ascii). In there is a call to a
java application that includes the portnumber to use for the
vnc-communication.

Succes

CBee

RE: java pages do not show [ In reply to ]
> When I connect to my PC at work and then try to download
> fixes from IBM on my work computer, their website uses java
> for the login and download pages, but I cannot see anything
> on those java web pages via VNC. Any ideas?

Unfortunately this sounds like the classic VNC-ports-blocked scenario.
You'll have to check with your netadmin to see if the proxy server is
passing through traffic on the required ports (5800/5900). As an
alternative, you could try configuring port forwarding on your home
connection so that it's accessible on an open port (SMTP/POP/HTTP/FTP), or
you could use a web-based solution like LogMeIn.