desktop without worries?

Thank you and great work everyone!

Steve

Re: Help [ In reply to ]
On 28-12-2009 5:26, Steve Melcher wrote:
> I have a newbie question, when I attempt to access the desktop of my Linux
> box is asks the logged on user for permission to access the device. This is
> great except I want to use this tool so I do not have to be in my lab for
> accessing the machine. How do I turn that option off so I just access the
> desktop without worries?

This depends on the linux distro you are using. Many current distro's do
provide click-click-finish install/config of vnc. For Ubuntu (using the
default gnome):
- System -> Administration -> LoginWindow. There at the tab 'remote' you
can configure what you like. for fresh logins.
- System -> Preferences -> RemoteDesktop you can configure a way to take
over the current desktop.

Be noted, these might conflict as vnc defaults to use the same port (5900).

On unix (including linux) there are way more ways to use vnc than on
msWindows. It is even fairly easy to create a complete vnc-driven
terminal-server machine. Describe what you want and what distro you use,
then the answers can be much more tailored to your needs.

Succes,

Corné