Mailing List Archive

AT&T as service provider
My iPhone will not access my VNC server whenever AT&T is the ISP for the iPhone. The iPhone will, however, access the server when connected by Wifi to an ISP other than AT&T. Any suggestions as to why this is happening or how to get around it?
RE: AT&T as service provider [ In reply to ]

This sounds like a classic case of AT&T blocking traffic on the ports
required for VNC (5800,5900). I'd suggest you open a terminal window and try
telnetting into the port manually, but you can't do that on non-jailbroken
iPhones :) Can you tether a laptop to the iPhone and use its data connection
to test?

Alternatively, contacting AT&T customer support and enquiring as to whether
the ports are blocked or not may yield an answer, although they may know
less than us! I would expect all non-standard ports to be blocked by default
on most data packages unless you pay more for a premium data package.

Re: AT&T as service provider [ In reply to ]
Likely you are not getting all the information on the screen to make the ATT connection. I have run into these situations. It seems ATT (or partner) many times uses flash for login to connections (why I don't know). So when I compare the screen on my laptop to the screen on my iPhone / iPod touch, they are not the same. The ability to select the provider (for example) from a list does not show up on the iPhone / iPod Touch. Apple tells me it is because ATT is using flash.

The iPhone / iPod Touch does not support Flash. It is a hog on memory and battery life. So this may be the reason. ATT after 3 years of conversations with them, has yet to fix it. As I have told Apple and ATT, this makes the iPhone / iPod Touch worthless - and I told both of them so much. Most of the time I cannot use them because of this issue.

So I am guessing this might be the issue. However, the way to tell is to use a laptop and look at the same screen.

On Dec 17, 2009, at 09:43 AM, Nancy wrote:

> My iPhone will not access my VNC server whenever AT&T is the ISP for the iPhone. The iPhone will, however, access the server when connected by Wifi to an ISP other than AT&T. Any suggestions as to why this is happening or how to get around it?

Dale Eshelman
eshelmand@gmail.com

MonaVie (Distr ID 1316953)
http://www.monavie.com/Web/US/en/product_overview.dhtml

The closer I get to the pain of glass in Windoz, the farther I can see and I see a Mac on the horizon.

RE: AT&T as service provider [ In reply to ]

I must disagree; imho all of that is FUD. Whether or not a device supports
Flash is irrelevant in this case - if the iPhone is on AT&T, and has the
standard iPhone AT&T data connection, I would stake money on it being that
nonstandard ports are restricted to HTTP and a handful of others by AT&T to
manage their network usage, and VNC traffic ports fall outside of the scope
of allowed ports.

The iPhone still fails, but for more and different reasons ;) </flame>

I've encountered this exact same problem (but with FTP and email traffic as
opposed to VNC) on an old mobile provider in the UK - I was using my
handset's 3G connection as a tethered mobile broadband connection. I had to
upgrade my package to unblock the required ports, no two ways about it.

Chris

Re: AT&T as service provider [ In reply to ]
NOT true. It is not FUD I am setting there with the same connection with two different pieces of equipment. In addition, Apple has stated so much and conversations with ATT also confirmed.

The iPhone DOES NOT support a flash player plug in. Therefore flash CANNOT run on the iPhone. While a Mac / PC sitting there side by side with the same connection works fine.

RE: AT&T as service provider [ In reply to ]
> NOT true. It is not FUD I am setting there with the same connection
> with two different pieces of equipment. In addition, Apple has stated
> so much and conversations with ATT also confirmed.

> The iPhone DOES NOT support a flash player plug in.
> Therefore flash CANNOT run on the iPhone. While a Mac / PC sitting there
> side by side with the same connection works fine.

Indeed, but I read it as you implying that the lack of Flash functionality
on the iPhone would affect the device's ability to connect to the data
service. I've never, ever seen a tethered cellular access setup where I have
to log in through a Flash portal - as far as the network's concerned,
whether it's your handset or your handset bridging the connection to an
external device via Bluetooth or sync cable, the network just sees the
traffic as coming from the device itself. There should be no additional
login steps required as the handset has already done that (and is de facto
authenticated as it's a registered device on the network). No Flash support
required. (certainly when I use my own device for tethering, I run the
generic Windows Mobile Connection Sharing app (which DOESN'T authenticate
with anything) on my phone, set it up to share via USB and then hit Connect
- it establishes the data connection and I plug my computer in, and the
phone appears as a network interface. I'm up and running without any other
logins almost immediately.

I suspect the iPhone is treated differently by AT&T from its other standard
handset range; I would still wager that the iPhone data plan doesn't allow
for nonstandard ports to be used (i.e., VNC et al) whereas the regular AT&T
data "bolt-on" package allows for more unrestricted usage.

YGWYPF is valid here :)

Re: AT&T as service provider [ In reply to ]
It is correct that flash CAN effect the ability of one to connect to the data service on the iPhone. Here is how. When you use the iPhone to log in to a WIFI connection and the login uses flash the login cannot be completed on the iPhone. The selection list to select your ISP to continue log in using the iPhone screens in the Safari browser is written in flash at many WIFI connection login screens. There is no way past this on an iPhone.
It is the Wayport WIFI connections (US) which have been the primary culprits. The whole portal is NOT flash. Only the list of ISPs in the drop down menu. Since the iPhone does not support flash, the list does not appear on the iPhone screen to select. It cannot be typed in; only selected from a list (ex. @sbcglobal.net or @ATT.net).

So if you have VNC app on your iPhone, you will need to login at a WIFI spot which does not require flash to login.

If you are using tethering, that is a different scenario. That means using the iPhone as a modem (so to speak) instead of using the iPhone directly. Tethering through ATT on the iPhone has been a rough road. ATT did not allow it to happen for a long time through the iPhone. I have not tried it recently but I believe it is now functional.

RE: AT&T as service provider [ In reply to ]
Ah, well, if one is using a wifi hotspot then that's a different matter
entirely I absolutely agree. However as far as I remember the OP never
mentioned wifi hotspots, only using the iPhone's data connection, so I
understood the question to implicitly involve using the device for its
tethered 3G connection.

Chris

_____