Mailing List Archive

VNC Deployement Tool Issues on Win XP and Win 7
Hi all,

I have an issue that is able to be replicated on both a Windows XP
computer and a Windows 7 computer.

When scanning a pc I get the error "RegConnectRegistry: The network path
was not found. (53)". I have tried using different credentials
including my Windows Domain Admin account, our software installation
account, my regular domain user account, as well as the computer's local
admin account. Scanning always results in the above error.
Installation of VNC isn't possible.

I have checked to make sure the user account in the credentials section
is in the local Administrators group both through the Domain Admins
group and by adding the user explicitly. We are at a loss at this
point.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Will

Re: VNC Deployement Tool Issues on Win XP and Win 7 [ In reply to ]
With windows XP, you will need to make sure simple file sharing is
disabled, and file and printer sharing are enabled - these are
required for remote registry calls. See this article for step by step
instructions:

http://www.networksteve.com/index.php/2008/12/enabling-file-and-printer-sharing-in-windows-xp/

With windows 7 there are even more hoops for you to go through.
Firewall is one, and a special registry key is another. See this
article:

http://www.networksteve.com/index.php/2009/08/windows-7-the-admin-share/

Pay very special attention to the registry key you need to set at the
end of the Windows 7 article

(Don't be confused by the title of the article...the admin share, and
remote registry go hand in hand)

After going through those steps you will want to make sure the "Remote
Registry" service is set to automatic and started on both versions of
windows.

And...you also must have a password on the admin account you are using
(Some password...any password) since windows will not allow remote
registry calls for accounts with no password set.

Hope those help,

Steve Wiseman

RE: VNC Deployement Tool Issues on Win XP and Win 7 [ In reply to ]
Hi Steve,

Thank you for your advice. I will check out these links and give it a try. I'll report back.

Thanks again.

Will
Will Shattuck, Senior I.S. Technician, Paramount Farms, Inc.
W: (661) 797-6537, C: (661) 203-0136