Mailing List Archive

VNC servers stop starting up after the 8th user at boot time on RHEL
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is a vnc issue or a RHEL issue, but I'll start
here. We have 3 machines with RHEL 5.3 64 bit, all updates applied. I
have used password to set the password of my users, then used
vncpassword as that user to set their vnc password, chkconfiged
vncserver on, and I've put all of the users in
the /etc/sysconfig/vncservers file in a format like so:

VNCSERVERS="1:larry 2:moe 3:curly"

VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 640x480"
VNCSERVERARGS[2]="-geometry 640x480"
VNCSERVERARGS[3]="-geometry 800x600"

When the machine boots, the vncserver service starts and begins starting
up the vnc servers for users UNTIL it has started up about 8 of them at
which point the server just goes on to starting up the next service. We
have 13 users in the vncservers file so that means that 5 still haven't
been started up. Once the machine has booted, I can issue the command
service vncserver restart and it will start up ALL 13 users. This
tells me that my config file is good at least, but why dont all of the
users' vnc servers come up at boot?!

I can change the order of the users in the vncservers file so it looks
something like:

VNCSERVERS="13:larry 12:moe 11:curly"
VNCSERVERARGS[13]="-geometry 640x480"
VNCSERVERARGS[12]="-geometry 640x480"
VNCSERVERARGS[11]="-geometry 800x600"

and it will begin starting up at server 13 and get to 6 and stop
starting up vnc servers and continue on to the next system service, so
this has nothing to do with vnc server not liking the number 9 or
something. I don't see anything funky in the system logs either.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this is occurring? As I said, I've
setup 3 of these servers and each one has the same problem.

Thanks,
-Kris