Mailing List Archive

Unable to fetch files from server
Hello:

I am unable to copy files from the server to my local PC.

I get access denied.

Real VNC documentation says "Note that it is not possible to download a file that has not first been offered by the server".

What does this mean?

Thanks

Re: Unable to fetch files from server [ In reply to ]
Roberto Meza wrote:
> Hello:
>

> I am unable to copy files from the server to my local PC.
>

> I get access denied.
>

> Real VNC documentation says "Note that it is not possible to download a file that has not first been offered by the server".
>

> What does this mean?

This means you try to do something that vnc is not designed to do. The
base vnc functionallity is to provide 'kvm' (Keyboard, Video and Mouse)
access to remote machines. There is no such thing as file transfer or
such in this protocol. (for what its worth, copy-paste of text, images
or such between local and remote is not even in the base setup)

If you need file transfer, use one of the many other protocols available
for that purpose: ftp, rcp, scp, smb, nfs or such. To get you going
using vnc, see if one of the vnc-spin-offs have file transfer fascilities.

Success

CBee