If so; how do I set it up or where can I find documentation re how to do it?

Thanks in advance,

-=>Danny<=-
RE: Can I remote two TightVNS servers that are behind the same cablemodem? [ In reply to ]
> I just set up TightVNC server on a machine that is behind a
> cable modem. I gave the machine a static IP address and set
> the port forwarding on the modem.
> Everything works!
> Now I'm wanting to add a second machine behind the same modem
> and I would like to be able to remotely control it as well.
> Since TightVNC uses the modem's IP address to connect to the
> machine that is already there, will I be able to control both
> PCs (not at the same time) with the local viewer?
> If so; how do I set it up or where can I find documentation
> re how to do it?

What you need is a router which can handle port forwarding, and it's JUST
been discussed on the list (see the archives from the past 3/4 days). :)

Re: Can I remote two TightVNS servers that are behind the same cable modem? [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 27 September 2009, -=>Danny<=- wrote:
> I just set up TightVNC server on a machine that is behind a cable modem.
> I gave the machine a static IP address and set the port forwarding on
> the modem. Everything works!
> Now I'm wanting to add a second machine behind the same modem and I
> would like to be able to remotely control it as well. Since TightVNC
> uses the modem's IP address to connect to the machine that is already
> there, will I be able to control both PCs (not at the same time) with
> the local viewer? If so; how do I set it up or where can I find
> documentation re how to do it?

Easy. Just use a different port number and forward the second port to the
second machine, i.e. forward port :1 to machine #1, and port #2 to machine
number two. Doesn't matter that it's the same external IP.

Re: Can I remote two TightVNS servers that are behind the same cable modem? [ In reply to ]
-=>Danny<=- wrote:
> I just set up TightVNC server on a machine that is behind a cable modem. I gave the machine a static IP address and set the port forwarding on the modem.
> Everything works!
> Now I'm wanting to add a second machine behind the same modem and I would like to be able to remotely control it as well.
> Since TightVNC uses the modem's IP address to connect to the machine that is already there, will I be able to control both PCs (not at the same time) with the local viewer?
> If so; how do I set it up or where can I find documentation re how to do it?

Your machines all provide the vnc session at display 0 by default. That
trafic is at port 5900. You can change display numbers in the settings,
which will move to using network port '5900 + display#'. To connect your
viewer to this alternate display number, use "remotemachine:display#"
(like "othermachine:7" if the display is set to 7).

You can use this in your router too: Either have your router forward
port 5903 to the machine at port 5900 and leave the machine as is or
move your machine to use display # 3, if your router cannot change ports
in forwarding.

VNC should be able to use display numbers from 0 till 31 without
problems. Till 63 should be no problem either. I've even seen displays
working up till 99, but as far as I know, that is beyond spec.

If you now need to access a vnc session at display 3 (port 5903), either
use the display number or the port number. AS far as I know, most
viewers expect numbers below 100 as display numbers (and add 5900) other
numbers are expected to be port numbers.

For what its worth: if you enable the webserver, you have to forward
port 5800 (or 5800 + display#) in the same way. Since the java viewer in
there does not see port forwarding over different numbers, best to use
dedicated display numbers in the vnc-server and not use port change in
the forwarding.

Success

CBee