Mailing List Archive

Keep-alive script available
One of the most useful features of VNC is the facility to set up a reverse
connection, initiated from the server to a listening client. Providing the
router at the client end can be configured to pass through port 5500, there
is no need to mess with firewalls and routers at the server end. As the
expertise is usually at the client end - that's a good deal!

However, that leaves the job of maintaining the connection, re-connecting as
necessary, at the server end. Many times I've had someone set up a
connection only for it to drop a few minutes after they have left.

I've finally (!) got a script working which provides one solution to this.
The script, which uses only built-in NT commands (tested under XP), sets up
a connection and then periodically monitors that it is still "live",
automatically re-establishing the connection if it has dropped. This
version is for a client at a location with a known IP address, but it could
be adapted to use a domain address (including one obtained via dynamic DNS).

If you'd like a copy, drop me a note. Beyond keeping the attribution in the
comments, there are no strings attached.

Phil Herlihy

Re: Keep-alive script available [ In reply to ]
Or you can set timeout to 0 and server will not drop connection.

Regards,
Alex

RE: Keep-alive script available [ In reply to ]
That might have been a wasted few hours, writing that script, then! I'd
looked for a suitable configuration but hadn't found one.

Do you mean to say that the connection will survive periods of network
glitch/error/whatever if this setting is used? Or is there still a role for
my script? Grateful for any further clarification you can offer on this -
as the perceived "unreliability" of VNC connections in some situations has
led me to use RDC whenever that's an option.

Philip Herlihy
Email: Philip@Herlihy.eu.com
Tel: 020 8521 9157
Mobile: 07931 546660
Fax: 0870 0511055

RE: Keep-alive script available [ In reply to ]
> That might have been a wasted few hours, writing that script,
> then! I'd looked for a suitable configuration but hadn't found one.
>
> Do you mean to say that the connection will survive periods
> of network glitch/error/whatever if this setting is used? Or
> is there still a role for my script? Grateful for any
> further clarification you can offer on this - as the
> perceived "unreliability" of VNC connections in some
> situations has led me to use RDC whenever that's an option.

I wouldn't write it off just yet... Whenever I have network issues my VNC
connections are usually amongst the first things to drop; having a
keep-alive script constantly pinging and reestablishing connections is
definitely one of those "why doesn't it have..." features imho.

Re: Keep-alive script available [ In reply to ]
You need to set "Disconnect idle client" in the "Connections" tab to 0.
This will prevent vnc server itself from dropping connections. That is a
server configuration.

If connection broken for some reason it is up to tcp layer to
reestablish connection. It normally can do this if link is restored
within timeout time, which is about 10 minutes if I remember correctly.
If you are using vpn to connect to your server, in my experience, vpn
wold be the source of lost connection much more than vnc. To keep vpn
going you can run some sort of IM client on the viewer side and it will
periodically ping the server thus keeping connection alive.

I use vnc for work and keep session going for 10-11 hours straight
without any problems.

Regards,
Alex

RE: Keep-alive script available [ In reply to ]
No, I didn't waste my time. The parameter you refer to has a default of 1
Hr (3600 seconds) and under "difficult" network conditions connections stay
up a LOT less than that!

Philip Herlihy

RE: Keep-alive script available [ In reply to ]
Some people I support have connections which, while seemingly reasonably
fast, often drop out. Others are rock-solid, so that a drop-out is a
surprise. I'm currently supporting a pro-bono database development where
the developer is in North Carolina and the installation is in Ghana. Not so
surprisingly, the NC connection is solid, while the Ghana one is very slow
and prone to disconnections. As we're using a server-initiated (listening
client) connection from Ghana the script is potentially invaluable. I have
tried (elsewhere) using ping -t to keep a connection "warm" but it didn't
stop VNC from dropping out. VNC seems more prone to dropouts that Remote
Desktop, which also makes up to 20 attempts to reconnect, but Remote Desktop
doesn't have the Listening Client facility, which can be a godsend.

Philip Herlihy