Mailing List Archive

No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC'sþ
Hello:

What's the best way to configure No-IP free to connect to 8 Windows XP PC's from my home computer?

All have Real VNC software installed and the No-IP utility.

Do I need multiple free No-IP accounts and multiple hosts?

Thanks,
Roberto
RE: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
> What's the best way to configure No-IP free to connect to 8
> Windows XP PC's from my home computer?
>
> All have Real VNC software installed and the No-IP utility.
>
> Do I need multiple free No-IP accounts and multiple hosts?

If the hosts are on physically separate Internet connections then yes,
you'll need a no-ip hostname for each of them and you may still need to
establish port mappings for each device if they're each behind a separate
firewall/router. If they are on the same connection behind one NATting
router/firewall, you will need to configure port forwarding for each machine
and map a public port for each device. In that case, one no-ip hostname will
suffice.

(For example, my home network has two machines with VNC on - I might have my
router configured to forward connections from port 4000 to port 5900 on
machine 1, and public port 5000 to port 5900 on machine 2. Then I just
connect to 'myhostname.tld:5000' in the VNC viewer connection box to
establish a connection - provided port forwarding is operational on the
network then it 'just works' :)

RE: No-IP and Real VNC on mult iple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
Dear Christopher:

I have only one rounter, a 2Wire 2701HG-T.

The router has already the port forwarding configured for Real VNC ports (5800 and 5900 I guess). Right now it forwards to one of the PC's (the server PC which has an Internet Caffe software installed) as I don't know how to configure the others.

The "server" PC is just another Windows XP PC.

The router's external IP address is 189.xxx.xx.146.

All the PC's includying the one I can connect through my home PC are using static IP addresses ranging from 192.xxx.x.65 through 192.xxx.x.72 for a total of 8 PC's.

The PC's IP address that has the internet caffe software installed is 192.xxx.x.69

No-IP utility and Real VNC are installed on all 8 PC's and the host name is set to papeleria.no-ip.org

I use this host name to connect to the server PC from my home using Real VNC and it works with no problems.

Thanks for your help,

Roberto

RE: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
I'll have to go off and find a manual for your router to see how it lets you
configure port forwards, but it shouldn't be too complex. To set up multiple
port forwards on my router, I can define "local" and "remote" ports - the
remote port is the one which the public internet can see, and the local one
is the port on that particular machine. I type in the LAN IP of the machine
I want to forward a port for, enter its local IP (so for VNC, 5900) and then
pick a remote port which I'd like to make visible to the Internet.

If all eight PCs are on the same internet connection, you don't need the
No-IP software installed on all of them - they'll all be constantly updating
the same data and wasting bandwidth and server resources :)

I'll reply later with more info if you need it (I'm at work at the moment so
can't spend too long replying :)

Cheers
Chris

_____

Re: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
I've done this before, although only with two pc's behind the same router.
For example, the router is set up to forward port 5900 to pc1, with the ip
of 192.168.1.50 and port 5901 to pc 2 with the ip of 192.168.1.51.
PC1 is set in vnc to listen on port 5900 and pc2 is set to listen on port
5901. You set this on the connections tab of the options for the vnc server
on each pc.
If I want to connect to pc1, I run the vnc client ( from work ) to the No-ip
address:5900, if I want to connect to pc2, it's the No-ip address:5901.
I don't know what the port range is that's allowed for the vnc server, but
trial and error would seem to be a good way to find out, if the manuals
don't say anything about it. You could run the client on one of your 8 pcs
and connect to each of the others on different ports.

RE: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
> I've done this before, although only with two pc's behind the
> same router.
> For example, the router is set up to forward port 5900 to
> pc1, with the ip of 192.168.1.50 and port 5901 to pc 2 with
> the ip of 192.168.1.51.
> PC1 is set in vnc to listen on port 5900 and pc2 is set to
> listen on port 5901. You set this on the connections tab of
> the options for the vnc server on each pc.
> If I want to connect to pc1, I run the vnc client ( from work
> ) to the No-ip address:5900, if I want to connect to pc2,
> it's the No-ip address:5901.

With a good NATting router, having to change the listen ports on each PC
*shouldn't* be necessary, but it can make things simpler. (however if you're
connecting from those machines via a LAN it adds the requirement to specify
the port as well, which I dislike...)

If the 2Wire can only directly map incoming traffic to the equivalent port
on the internal machine, then Roberto will have to do that. As long as his
router supports restricted or full cone NAT and allows for differing local
and remote port assignments, he should only have to make his changes on the
router (all the LAN PCs will quite happily work with the default settings).

Re: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC's‏ [ In reply to ]
Can you provide an example of of the setting and location of setting
on the router that need to take place for NAT? What must a router have
in the settings to be a NAT router?
Thanks

On Sep 25, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Christopher Woods wrote:

>> I've done this before, although only with two pc's behind the
>> same router.
>> For example, the router is set up to forward port 5900 to
>> pc1, with the ip of 192.168.1.50 and port 5901 to pc 2 with
>> the ip of 192.168.1.51.
>> PC1 is set in vnc to listen on port 5900 and pc2 is set to
>> listen on port 5901. You set this on the connections tab of
>> the options for the vnc server on each pc.
>> If I want to connect to pc1, I run the vnc client ( from work
>> ) to the No-ip address:5900, if I want to connect to pc2,
>> it's the No-ip address:5901.
>
> With a good NATting router, having to change the listen ports on
> each PC
> *shouldn't* be necessary, but it can make things simpler. (however
> if you're
> connecting from those machines via a LAN it adds the requirement to
> specify
> the port as well, which I dislike...)
>
> If the 2Wire can only directly map incoming traffic to the
> equivalent port
> on the internal machine, then Roberto will have to do that. As long
> as his
> router supports restricted or full cone NAT and allows for differing
> local
> and remote port assignments, he should only have to make his changes
> on the
> router (all the LAN PCs will quite happily work with the default
> settings).

Dale Eshelman
eshelmand@gmail.com

ShopToEarn (Dist ID 105985)
http://www.ShopToEarn.net/DaleEshelman

MonaVie (Distr ID 1316953)
http://www.monavie.com/Web/US/en/product_overview.dhtml

The closer I get to the pain of glass in Windoz, the farther I can see
and I see a Mac on the horizon.

RE: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
You may find this helpful:

http://portforward.com/

Philip Herlihy

Re: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC's‏ [ In reply to ]
I am familiar with the link. I just thought there was something
special you were addressing I did not know. I do not know a router
that does not have port forwarding.
I just thought the term "NAT" referenced something special regarding
routers. So I guess "Net Address Translation" is the same as port
forwarding.

RE: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC's‏ [ In reply to ]
My understanding of NAT is that a router must be able to associate multiple connections (possibly connectionless UDP conversations) between its LAN clients and external stations which can see only the router as a single entity. So, if a UDP datagram arrives from a station on the WAN the router must be able to “remember” which of its clients it should be sent to.

Port forwarding is a fixed configuration, where a connection on a particular port (e.g. 5900 or 5500) is always routed to a particular client. The most helpful routers allow the port to be translated, so you can connect to the router on port 8903 or port 8904 and the router will send the connection to 10.0.0.3 or 10.0.0.4 respectively, while translating the port on the LAN side to 5900.

Caveat: I’m no networking guru!

Philip Herlihy

http://www.ShopToEarn.net/DaleEshelman <http://www.ShopToEarn.net/Eshelman>

RE: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
> My understanding of NAT is that a router must be able to
> associate multiple connections (possibly connectionless UDP
> conversations) between its LAN clients and external stations
> which can see only the router as a single entity. So, if a
> UDP datagram arrives from a station on the WAN the router
> must be able to “remember” which of its clients it should be sent to.
>

> Port forwarding is a fixed configuration, where a connection
> on a particular port (e.g. 5900 or 5500) is always routed to
> a particular client. The most helpful routers allow the port
> to be translated, so you can connect to the router on port
> 8903 or port 8904 and the router will send the connection to
> 10.0.0.3 or 10.0.0.4 respectively, while translating the port
> on the LAN side to 5900.

Entirely accurate; apologies for any confusion from my earlier response. I
was not attempting to conflate static port forwarding with NAT (I was just
indicating that if his router can happily handle NAT, it should be able to
support multiple port forwards ;)

The NAT capabilities might come in to play if the server is set to connect
to an external listening client...

RE: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
The nice thing about NAT is that the router does it automatically.
Port-forwarding has to be set up manually, unless you can fathom the
mysteries of uPnP (which I'm not sure I can). In the situation you
describe, the router to which the listening client is attached would need
port-forwarding to be configured. At the other end NAT would take care of
things without intervention. Which is why listening clients are so useful,
and in some situations a huge advantage over Remote Desktop, which can't do
this.

Philip Herlihy

RE: No-IP and Real VNC on mult iple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
Hello:

I think I'm missing something on my 2Wire 2701HG-T router configuration or somewhere else.

I can only connect to the PC (the main one) that has the No-IP client installed.

I added an exception on Windows XP firewall on each of the 7 PC's

So for the main PC I added the exception port TCP 5900
So for PC1 I added the exception port TCP 5901
So for PC2 I added the exception port TCP 5902
So for PC3 I added the exception port TCP 5903
So for PC4 I added the exception port TCP 5904
So for PC5 I added the exception port TCP 5905
So for PC6 I added the exception port TCP 5906

I'm entering on the VNC Viewer papeleria.no-ip.org:5901 to try to connect to PC1 but I can't.

How am I supposed to configure the router?

What I did was to forward ports 5900 through 5901 to the IP address if the main PC (192.168.1.71) where the No-IP client is installed.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

RE: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
I assume you’ve configured VNC server on PC5 to use port 5905 (and so on).
You’ve also added a firewall exception for port 5905 on that machine (you
could have just trusted the application and the firewall will figure out
which port is involved). If I understand you correctly, then what’s missing
is a port-forwarding rule in the router which will direct incoming
connections using port 5905 to the IP address of PC5. And so on, for the
other machines.

Can’t remember what the 2Wire interface looks like, but many routers call
these rules “Virtual Servers”.

Be aware that VNC requires TWO colons if you are using anything other than
the default port, so your address should be: papeleria.no-ip.org::5901

Philip Herlihy

RE: No-IP and Real VNC on mult iple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
The problem is that things don't work that way for this particular router.

First, you are forced to select a set of computers "detected" by the router from a drop down menu list and then configure which ports are associated with that particular PC's.

Problem is not all the 8 PC's appear on that list I don't know why so there's no way to select all the IP addresses from all the PC's.

Unfortunately you cannot manually type the IP addresses for all PC's. Some of them are there and some aren't.

Maybe I need to do a hard reset to the router so it detects all the machines connected to it.

Thanks

RE: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
[...]

I've done a little more reading about your router, and it seems that it's
NOT a good device for multiple port forwards to different machines. It has a
DMZ and can map ports fine to one machine, but it looks like it might not be
able to port forward adequately to multiple devices on your LAN (!).

Some comments about 2Wire routers:

"You really should get another router. The 2wire ones are HORRIBLE for port
forwarding. The one I was on would not even let me manually specify an IP to
forward to...you could only pick from a list of found hostnames."

However, on a HardOCP forum thread, I did then see this:

"Since people rarely finish off threads, I'll post the solution I used. It
turns out 2wire modems do have port redirection, the problem is that they
don't call it that. When you open a port (2wire-speak: a user-defined
application) there is a setting called "Map to host port:" Now obviously,
that's what I wanted, but when glancing over the page, I missed
it...repeatedly. Now I have successfully set it up so you go through my
domain, and certain links go to certain ports, which get forwarded and
redirected by the 2wire to the right thing."

So, is there a "Map to host port" feature in your admin pages? If not, you
might just consider turning your 2Wire into a dumb modem, and using
something like a Linksys WRT54GL (running DD-WRT) to act as the network
routing device. I use that exact device running DD-WRT, and it can handle
multiple port forwards (and port range forwards) to multiple IP addresses
without any problem at all. You don't *have* to buy a Linksys WRT54GL,
there's a big list of DD-WRT-compatible routers on the dd-wrt.com web site.
(There's also loads of advantages to running a DD-WRT router on your network
as well; if I'm setting up a low cost network I'd only consider an ethernet
modem paired with a WRT-based router now!)

I read this on another forum for setting up custom port forward profiles:
"Click the firewall settings. Select your computer from the list, then click
the add new user defined button if it's not already on the list. Enter the
ports numbers in the boxes."

We can't really offer more advice or specific instructions without being
able to view the admin pages and try to work it out from there - you may
have a little more luck with your specific model if you get in touch with
another person who has the same router, or ring/email 2Wire support / your
ISP if they offer tech support on the device.
RE: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
> Be aware that VNC requires TWO colons if you are using
> anything other than the default port, so your address should
> be: papeleria.no-ip.org::5901

Is this only when the VNC server is set up to listen on a non-default port?
I used to think that a double colon was necessary (and indeed, I did have to
use two colons as well with previous versions) but with the more recent
versions of the viewer on the machines I use (both on Windows and OSX) I've
only ever needed to use one colon, and it connects quite happily. :)

I have noticed that the Java applet still inserts a double colon into the
connect dialog, but this could be a legacy thing...

RE: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
Sorry if the previous email's a little hard to decipher - was composing in
HTML mode as Roberto's original message was HTML, so I was indenting instead
of using > symbols (and the listserver reformatted as plaintext). Horrible
practice I know, but I was watching the Formula 1 at the same time. ;)

RE: No-IP and Real VNC on mult iple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
This tutorial is good to connect to only one PC detected by the router.

I will write 2Wire's support to know what do I need to do for the router to detect all the machines, not just a few.

Thanks

From: philip@herlihy.eu.com
To: roberto_meza75@hotmail.com
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 16:37:24 +0100

Check this:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/2wire/2701HG-T/VNC.htm

I must say I’ve also had problems with 2Wire modems not apparently detecting machines which are connected through it, so the hard-reset might be a good idea.

Regarding Christopher’s comment about the double-colon, for all I know they have removed the requirement for the second colon – I’ll have to try it some time!

Philip Herlihy

RE: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
I’ve used one of these routers to configure Remote Desktop through the one
router to multiple PCs. I connect to (say) xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8049 and the
2Wire routes it to the designated machine (typically local IP 10.0.0.49),
translating the port to 3389 on the fly (“map to host port”). Works a
treat.

On this router you edit (create) an “Application” for each type of
connection: I call mine something like (eg) RDC-8049, and have it “map to
host port” 3398. Exactly the same for VNC: I’d have an Application called
VNC-8049 and map that to host port 5900. Then I select the desired computer
from the “Select a computer” drop-down (numbered “1” in the screenshot on
the site below) and add it to the “Hosted Applications” list for that
machine.

If your router isn’t correctly detecting the connected PCs then I’d guess a
power-cycle might help, but I can’t help further with that.

Philip Herlihy

RE: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
> I must say I’ve also had problems with 2Wire modems not apparently
detecting machines which are connected through it, so the hard-reset might
be a good idea.

Is it just DHCP clients 2Wire units have problems with? Does it detect uPnP
devices ok?

RE: No-IP and Real VNC on multiple PC'sþ [ In reply to ]
No experience of this, sorry.

Philip Herlihy