Mailing List Archive

Remote cursor location
Is there a pseudo-encoding that lets me get the remote machine cursor
location (coordinate)?

When I request the cursor image, I don't know where to put it. I can
put it where the local user has his cursor, but in the case where the
local user is just viewing a remote user, this doesn't make sense,
because you really want to see the remote cursor. Still, it's much
more efficient to just send "cursor moved to X" than to send the
framebuffer equivalent of graphics updates.

Sincerely,

jw

--
Americans might object: there is no way we would sacrifice our living
standards for the benefit of people in the rest of the world.

Re: Remote cursor location [ In reply to ]
Hello Jon,

> Is there a pseudo-encoding that lets me get the remote machine cursor
> location (coordinate)?
>
> When I request the cursor image, I don't know where to put it. I can
> put it where the local user has his cursor, but in the case where the
> local user is just viewing a remote user, this doesn't make sense,
> because you really want to see the remote cursor. Still, it's much
> more efficient to just send "cursor moved to X" than to send the
> framebuffer equivalent of graphics updates.

TightVNC supports such a pseudo-encoding called PointerPos:

#define rfbEncodingPointerPos 0xFFFFFF18

The x and y coordinates of the "pseudo-encoded" rectangle are
interpreted as the coordinates of the cursor. Width and height fields
are not used and should be 0.

--
With Best Wishes,
Constantin

Re: Remote cursor location [ In reply to ]
Constantin Kaplinsky wrote:
>> When I request the cursor image, I don't know where to put it. I can
>> put it where the local user has his cursor, but in the case where the
>> local user is just viewing a remote user, this doesn't make sense,
>> because you really want to see the remote cursor. Still, it's much
>> more efficient to just send "cursor moved to X" than to send the
>> framebuffer equivalent of graphics updates.
>>

> TightVNC supports such a pseudo-encoding called PointerPos:
>
> #define rfbEncodingPointerPos 0xFFFFFF18
>
> The x and y coordinates of the "pseudo-encoded" rectangle are
> interpreted as the coordinates of the cursor. Width and height fields
> are not used and should be 0.

Great! Thanks for the note.

Also, is there a document that describes how exactly the client and
server should behave when this encoding is turned on?

Sincerely,

jw

--

Revenge is the most pointless and damaging of human desires.

Re: Remote cursor location [ In reply to ]
Hello Jon,

> Also, is there a document that describes how exactly the client and
> server should behave when this encoding is turned on?

There is no special documentation, but I can answer particular questions
on this subject.

--
With Best Wishes,
Constantin