Mailing List Archive

VNC server not listening on port 5800, 5801, etc. - Cannot connect via http
I am new to both Linux and VNC, but so far have been able to set up VNC
properly on Fedora 11. I am able to connect locally using the client/server
setup. However, I want to be able to connect via http. I understand that the
vncserver listens on port 5903 (my display is 3), and should listen on the
5800 + N range for the java viewer using http.

Well, I cannot connect using http. I have checked and triple checked all my
firewall (router and on the linux box) setting and am forwarding 5903 and
5803 (tcp). I checked in my vncservers config file and DO NOT have the
-nohttpd variable listed, so it should be listening on port 5800 +N right?
So I ran a netstat -tulp | grep vnc and this is what I got:

tcp 0 0 *:5903 *:*
LISTEN 1791/Xvnc

tcp 0 0 *:6003 *:*
LISTEN 1791/Xvnc

tcp 0 0 *:vnc-server *:*
LISTEN 2163/vino-server

tcp 0 0 *:6003 *:*
LISTEN 1791/Xvnc

So apparently, it is not even listening on those ports for the http view,
hence my problem. Am I missing something simple here? Is there some way (or
variable) that gets the vncserver to listen on those ports?

Thanks!

Mike

RE: VNC server not listening on port 5800, 5801, etc. - Cannot connect via http [ In reply to ]
Hi Mike,

Depending upon which version of VNC Server you're using, you may need to tell it where to find the VNC Viewer for Java files, otherwise it won't listen for HTTP connections, since it has nothing it can do with them.

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

Re: VNC server not listening on port 5800, 5801, etc. - Cannot connect via http [ In reply to ]
Let me just say "welcome" to the new Mike Miller. I've been on the list
since 9/1998, so I just thought I'd mention that this Mike Miller (the one
sending this message) and that Mike Miller (the one I am replying to) are
two different people. Believe me, it happens a lot. It must be even
worse for John Smith!

Mike

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, Mike Miller wrote:

> I am new to both Linux and VNC, but so far have been able to set up VNC
> properly on Fedora 11. I am able to connect locally using the client/server
> setup. However, I want to be able to connect via http. I understand that the
> vncserver listens on port 5903 (my display is 3), and should listen on the
> 5800 + N range for the java viewer using http.
>

> Well, I cannot connect using http. I have checked and triple checked all my
> firewall (router and on the linux box) setting and am forwarding 5903 and
> 5803 (tcp). I checked in my vncservers config file and DO NOT have the
> -nohttpd variable listed, so it should be listening on port 5800 +N right?
> So I ran a netstat -tulp | grep vnc and this is what I got:
>

> tcp 0 0 *:5903 *:*
> LISTEN 1791/Xvnc
>
> tcp 0 0 *:6003 *:*
> LISTEN 1791/Xvnc
>
> tcp 0 0 *:vnc-server *:*
> LISTEN 2163/vino-server
>
> tcp 0 0 *:6003 *:*
> LISTEN 1791/Xvnc
>

> So apparently, it is not even listening on those ports for the http view,
> hence my problem. Am I missing something simple here? Is there some way (or
> variable) that gets the vncserver to listen on those ports?
>

> Thanks!
>

> Mike

Please note that I am using a new email address.
My old email address @taxa.epi.umn.edu, will stop working
because that old computer is being retired.