Mailing List Archive

Windows Vista / Windows 7
I have a test machine running Windows 7 that I'm planning to put in a semi-
production environment. Can anyone advise of a version of VNC that will
work on that machine? TigerVNC does not work, and I'm not sure if TightVNC
will work or not. I see that the paid-for version of RealVNC works on
Windows Vista, but I don't have a budget for that.

Thanks!

Re: Windows Vista / Windows 7 [ In reply to ]
I was in under impression that Real VNC doesn't work on Windows 7 and Tiger
VNC does. Are you sure Tiger VNC doesn't work on Windows 7?

Okey...lets have a general question. :-) Is there any VNC version that works
on all platforms? I think some would able to give answer to this question.

Thanks.

RE: Windows Vista / Windows 7 [ In reply to ]
Hi John,

Both VNC Enterprise Edition and the cheaper Personal Edition should work with Windows 7.

HTH,

--
Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

Re: Windows Vista / Windows 7 [ In reply to ]
On Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 08:46:32AM -0400, John Aldrich wrote:

> I have a test machine running Windows 7 that I'm planning to put in a semi-
> production environment. Can anyone advise of a version of VNC that will
> work on that machine? TigerVNC does not work, and I'm not sure if TightVNC
> will work or not. I see that the paid-for version of RealVNC works on
> Windows Vista, but I don't have a budget for that.

You could try Ultr@VNC (http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/) - it's a
Windows-only version, and a quick glance at the forums suggests that
it's Windows 7 compatible.

Last I'd heard it wasn't 100% compatible with other VNC versions though
(I think they'd used some protocol IDs that have since been officially
allocated elsewehere), but this may no longer be true.

HTH,
Robin
--
___
( ' } | Robin Hill <robin@robinhill.me.uk> |

RE: Windows Vista / Windows 7 [ In reply to ]
Hi Paresh,

I'm afraid that you've been misinformed. VNC Enterprise E4.5.0 and Personal P4.5.0 versions with Windows 7 RC.

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

RE: Windows Vista / Windows 7 [ In reply to ]
UltraVNC does work in Windows 7.

Steve Bostedor
http://www.vncscan.com
VNC Management Made Simple

Re: Windows Vista / Windows 7 [ In reply to ]
On Friday 24 July 2009, paresh masani wrote:
> I was in under impression that Real VNC doesn't work on Windows 7 and
> Tiger VNC does. Are you sure Tiger VNC doesn't work on Windows 7?
>
> Okey...lets have a general question. :-) Is there any VNC version that
> works on all platforms? I think some would able to give answer to this
> question.

Nope. TigerVNC folks told me (on *their* mailing list) that the server does
not work on Windows Vista/7

Re: Windows Vista / Windows 7 [ In reply to ]
On Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 06:40:02PM +0530, paresh masani wrote:

> Okey...lets have a general question. :-) Is there any VNC version that works
> on all platforms? I think some would able to give answer to this question.

I rather doubt it - it depends what platforms you're considering though
(I've got installs on Linux, Windows XP, Maemo, S60 and Palm - there's
plenty of others out there though). Anyway, it shouldn't matter (for
the core VNC functionality anyway) as all the different versions should
be compatible, so there's no need to run the same version on all
platforms.

Cheers,
Robin
--
___

Re: Windows Vista / Windows 7 [ In reply to ]
I know this is off topic, but can't you use remote desktop on windows?
There are rdp linux clients. I was a loyal customer of vnc on windows
until about v4.2.9. After that they started adding useless features like
chat to it and bloating the server size. Also free version is hopelessly
stagnated in an attempt to sell personal version. I think they will
loose market share on windows since free version is far behind other
implementations and there is not enough people to pay for personal edition.

Regards,
Alex

Re: Windows Vista / Windows 7 [ In reply to ]
Downside t RDC is when another user is on the other end there is no
screen sharing like with VNC.

On Jul 26, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Alex Pelts wrote:

> I know this is off topic, but can't you use remote desktop on windows?
> There are rdp linux clients. I was a loyal customer of vnc on windows
> until about v4.2.9. After that they started adding useless features
> like
> chat to it and bloating the server size. Also free version is
> hopelessly
> stagnated in an attempt to sell personal version. I think they will
> loose market share on windows since free version is far behind other
> implementations and there is not enough people to pay for personal
> edition.
>
> Regards,
> Alex
>

> John Aldrich wrote:
>> On Friday 24 July 2009, paresh masani wrote:
>>
>>> I was in under impression that Real VNC doesn't work on Windows 7
>>> and
>>> Tiger VNC does. Are you sure Tiger VNC doesn't work on Windows 7?
>>>
>>> Okey...lets have a general question. :-) Is there any VNC version
>>> that
>>> works on all platforms? I think some would able to give answer to
>>> this
>>> question.
>>>

>> Nope. TigerVNC folks told me (on *their* mailing list) that the
>> server does
>> not work on Windows Vista/7

Dale Eshelman
eshelmand@gmail.com

ShopToEarn (Dist ID 105985)
http://www.ShopToEarn.net/DaleEshelman

MonaVie (Distr ID 1316953)
http://www.monavie.com/Web/US/en/product_overview.dhtml

The closer I get to the pain of glass in Windoz, the farther I can see
and I see a Mac on the horizon.

Re: Windows Vista / Windows 7 [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 26 July 2009, Alex Pelts wrote:
> I know this is off topic, but can't you use remote desktop on windows?
> There are rdp linux clients. I was a loyal customer of vnc on windows
> until about v4.2.9. After that they started adding useless features like
> chat to it and bloating the server size. Also free version is hopelessly
> stagnated in an attempt to sell personal version. I think they will
> loose market share on windows since free version is far behind other
> implementations and there is not enough people to pay for personal
> edition.

I should be able to use RDP, but for some reason, it won't let me
connect... *shrug*

Re: Windows Vista / Windows 7 [ In reply to ]
That you can figure out pretty easy - your service should be running and
firewall should allow connection. There is plenty of information on
configuring RD on the net.

Regards,
Alex