Mailing List Archive

VNC server/viewer problem
Hi Y'all,

I am new to VNC but not to Linux or Ubuntu, however, still very much human.

I installed vnc4server on the remote system(the_host) which is my
firewall server. It will be headless when I get finished getting things
worked out so that I can control it remotely.

I installed vnc4viewer on the system I was working from(viewing_host)

No problems

I then started up the viewer - IT WORKED!

I then changed the display I was working on to full screen and could not
get back; yeah I know RTFM first but I didn't... I forced a reboot of my
system and tried again and got the following message:

Connection to host "the_host:5900" was closed.

I have restarted both systems, no help. Searched the VNC site for
information on the error and was not able to find anything that
indicated a solution. I also tried searching the Ubuntu forum...

I have enabled port 5900 for the viewing_host in firestarter on the_host.

The message still appears...

I am running 4.08 LTS and VNC 4.1 on both systems

How do I solve this problem?

Regards,
Jay
--

Jay Ridgley
jridgley2@austin.rr.com

Re: VNC server/viewer problem [ In reply to ]
After connection is closed do netstat and see if server is still
running. Or maybe ps. I think your server is exiting for some reason.
You can look at the logs which it saves, your clue is likely to be
there. And I think you mean 8.04 not 4.08.

Regards,
Alex

Re: VNC server/viewer problem [ In reply to ]
Alex,

Thanks for the response...

There is nothing in netstat that indicates the server is running after
attempting to connect. It does not show in in a ps either. Should it be?

I do not see any log files on either of the systems that indicate that
they are from VNC. Would you please provide a path to where they should
be. The only thing I find that appears to be part of VNC is a directory
in the home directory on both systems named .tsclient, which contains
the file mru.tsc on both systems and last.tsc on the viewer system. The
mru.tsc files are empty. The contents of last.tsc do not appear relevent
to the problem. The documented directory .vnc does not exist on either
system.

I am wondering if there is some sort of lock file that remains do to the
abnormal exit I forced. However, I have been unable to locate it. Would
it do any good to reinstall the software?

Yes, you are correct I did mean 8.04.

Regards,
Jay

Re: VNC server/viewer problem [ In reply to ]
If vnc server does not show up as a process it is certainly exiting. You
should see Xvnc process if you run server with vncserver command. If you
sharing your x desktop I am not sure. I run vncserver as user and it
creates .vnc directory in my home directory. It then places log files in
that directory and reads its configuration files from there. I also use
8.04.3 at this moment and it is a headless system running in vmware. So
the only access is vnc. I don't think vnc creates any of mentioned
directories.

How do you start your vnc?

Regards,
Alex

Re: VNC server/viewer problem [ In reply to ]
On the server side once the software is installed the GNOME Remote
Desktop is invoked under System -> Preferences -> Remote Desktop
This allows you to set your remote access preferences. I have currently
installed GNOME Remote Desktop 2.22.2

On the viewer side once the software is installed you start the viewer
from Applications -> Internet -> Remote Desktop Viewer
Which makes the connection and starts things up. I have currently
installed GNOME Remote Desktop Viewer 0.5.1 which states that Vinagre is
a VNC Client for the GNOME Desktop.

It is when I try to connect to the server that I get the error I have
mentioned.

Regards,
Jay

Re: VNC server/viewer problem [ In reply to ]
Sorry I do not run gnome. I run vncserver directly. You probably need to
figure out how gnome does it. I run vncserver instead of X and run
blackbox as DM. Makes for lean and fast configuration.

Regards,
Alex

Re: VNC server/viewer problem [ In reply to ]
Thank you, you have been the only one who tried to help. I will let you
know when I get it fixed and what I had to do.

Kind regards,
Jay