when i attempt to connect to my vnc server from other machines, using
vncviewer, i get the authentication dialog, like normal, but immediately
after sending the password, a dialog stating "Connection Closed" pops up.
however, i can connect to the server from the machine actually running the
server (loopback connections enabled). it doesn't seem to matter whether or
not i leave the machine logged in to a winxp session or not. any help is
appreciated.

mike
RE: "Connection Closed" right after authentication [ In reply to ]
The only thing I can think is -alwaysshared may be disabled, try restarting
the server with this options and reconnect. Other than that I don't know.
:/

Jack

Re: "Connection Closed" right after authentication [ In reply to ]
is the server changing screen resolution at logon?

Re: "Connection Closed" right after authentication [ In reply to ]
thanks, i'll try that.

the tightVNC server provides a "advanced" configuration dialog that allows
the setting of "connection priority" (corresponds to ConnectPriority
registry key) to either "disconnect existing connections" (current),
"automatic shared sessions", or "refuse concurrent connections". should i
adjust this setting?

btw, it turns out that if i leave the machine running the server logged into
a winxp session, than i am able to establish a vnc connection/session
without any problems.

Re: "Connection Closed" right after authentication [ In reply to ]
sorry, i made a mistake. it turns out that if i leave the machine running

Re: "Connection Closed" right after authentication [ In reply to ]
Mike...

I've noticed the same problems when running TightVNC v1.2.3 on Win2K and
WinXP machines. At the risk of getting shot by Mr. Kaplinsky, try
uninstalling TightVNC 1.2.3 and revert to version 1.2.2, if it's still
available. That has seemed to eliminate the connection problems for us
here.

...br

Re: "Connection Closed" right after authentication [ In reply to ]
no it isn't. but i can't even bring up the winxp login screen. the vnc
session closes as soon as it begins.

Re: "Connection Closed" right after authentication [ In reply to ]
interesting. i'll definately try that. thanks.

Re: "Connection Closed" right after authentication [ In reply to ]
Hello Bill,

BR> Mike... I've noticed the same problems when running TightVNC
BR> v1.2.3 on Win2K and WinXP machines. At the risk of getting shot by
BR> Mr. Kaplinsky, try uninstalling TightVNC 1.2.3 and revert to
BR> version 1.2.2, if it's still available. That has seemed to
BR> eliminate the connection problems for us here.

Hmm, I don't think there might be a difference in behaviour between
1.2.2 and 1.2.3 in regards to this aspect. I cannot imagine how mouse
wheel support could break things like that. ;-)

In any case, I plan to dig into these "connection closed" issues as I
see a lot of reports on the subject. I don't think the next version
will close all the issues, but I'll try to implement better logging
which might help to understand reasons for the troubles.

--
With Best Wishes,
Constantin
Re: "Connection Closed" right after authentication [ In reply to ]
Constantin, better logging would be a great addition in general anyway (as if I
needed to tell you that).

> In any case, I plan to dig into these "connection closed" issues as I
> see a lot of reports on the subject. I don't think the next version
> will close all the issues, but I'll try to implement better logging
> which might help to understand reasons for the troubles.
>
> --
> With Best Wishes,
> Constantin
(SNIP)
AW: "Connection Closed" right after authentication [ In reply to ]
Hello Mike,

is there any screensaver running with active password protection? If so, try
to switch password protection off.

Jens

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----

Re: "Connection Closed" right after authentication [ In reply to ]
yes i use a screen saver with password protection. i'll try switching it
off. thanks for the suggestion.

Re: "Connection closed" right after authentication [ In reply to ]
Thank you John, what do you mean exactly with "go into Windows Security
controls"? Sorry but I don't know win7 very well... if you could find a
way to be more precise I would really appreciate it.

By the time, I'll give a try with tightVNC, thank you Claudio.

Best regards,
Andrea

Re: "Connection closed" right after authentication [ In reply to ]
On Thu April 7 2011, Andrea Vai wrote:
> Thank you John, what do you mean exactly with "go into Windows Security
> controls"? Sorry but I don't know win7 very well... if you could find a
> way to be more precise I would really appreciate it.
>
> By the time, I'll give a try with tightVNC, thank you Claudio.

I personally use TigerVNC here and am very happy with it both on Windows
(XP) and Linux (Fedora 14.) As for the "Windows Security" stuff...that's
under Control Panel. Not very familiar with Windows Vista and Windows 7 as
Microsoft has moved everything around and changed what it's all called, but
in the Control Panel there should be some sort of "security settings." As
previously mentioned, it may simply be an incompatibility between Windows 7
and RealVNC.