Mailing List Archive

Varnish 4.1.3 (RPM rhel6) not listening on all interfaces
Hi all,

I've been upgrading Varnish to 4.1.3 using an RPM
varnish-4.1.3-1.el6.x86_64

All is good, except of Varnish cannot be configured to listen on all
interfaces via sysconfig file?! I read the docs and they claim that the
sysconfig works as before - EG, :80 will make Varnish listen on port 80
on all interfaces. However, I cannot achieve this! Varnish errors out
with

Starting Varnish Cache: Error: Cannot open socket: :80: Address
family not supported by protocol

Currently I *must* specify all the IPs I want Varnish to listen to on
in the sysconfig file.

This is particulary annoying when trying to automate the config with a
mix of physical and virtual IPs..

I'm assuming I'm doing smth wrong, anybody has any suggestions?

thanks

Regards

Viktor Villafuerte
Optus Internet Engineering
t: +61 2 80825265

Re: Varnish 4.1.3 (RPM rhel6) not listening on all interfaces [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 12:54 AM, Viktor Villafuerte
<viktor.villafuerte@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been upgrading Varnish to 4.1.3 using an RPM
> varnish-4.1.3-1.el6.x86_64
>
> All is good, except of Varnish cannot be configured to listen on all
> interfaces via sysconfig file?! I read the docs and they claim that the
> sysconfig works as before - EG, :80 will make Varnish listen on port 80
> on all interfaces. However, I cannot achieve this! Varnish errors out
> with
>
> Starting Varnish Cache: Error: Cannot open socket: :80: Address
> family not supported by protocol

Is your kernel started with IPv6 disabled? I think this is a known issue.

Dridi

Re: Varnish 4.1.3 (RPM rhel6) not listening on all interfaces [ In reply to ]
> Currently I *must* specify all the IPs I want Varnish to listen to on
> in the sysconfig file.

If IPv6 is disabled as I suspect, you could start with -a 0.0.0.0:80
to listen to all IPv4 interfaces. Does that work?

Dridi

Re: Varnish 4.1.3 (RPM rhel6) not listening on all interfaces [ In reply to ]
Hi Dridi,

yes, kernel is ipv6 disabled and 0.0.0.0 does seems to fix this. :)

thanks