Mailing List Archive

varnishstat vs. telnet stats
Hi!
I still have problems with varnish and its cache. Its configured to
listen on port 80 which it does fine. My webserver is set to listen on
port 8080 and the backend on varnish is configured to:
backend default {
set backend.host = "127.0.0.1";
set backend.port = "8080";
}

Now if I make a request of a picture to port 80, I see in apache2 logs
that it passes the picture fine. But if I check varnishstat, its still
empty with zeros almost everywhere. The only values that are set is:
/1 N struct sess_mem
2 N struct smf
2 N large free smf
47 SHM records
47 SHM writes
1073741824 bytes free/

This is after a *single *request to a picture has been made.

If I then close down varnishstat and telnets in to port 6082 and type
/stats/ I get totally different data compared with varnishstat.
Here is exactly what it prints out in the telnet console (when using the
/stats/ command):

/ 1 Client connections accepted
1 Client requests received
0 Cache hits
0 Cache hits for pass
0 Cache misses
1 Backend connections success
0 Backend connections failures
0 Backend connections reuses
1 Backend connections recycles
0 Backend connections unused
1 N struct srcaddr
1 N active struct srcaddr
2 N struct sess_mem
2 N struct sess
0 N struct object
1 N struct objecthead
2 N struct smf
0 N small free smf
2 N large free smf
1 N struct vbe_conn
1 N worker threads
1 N worker threads created
0 N worker threads not created
0 N worker threads limited
0 N queued work requests
1 N overflowed work requests
0 N dropped work requests
0 N expired objects
0 N objects on deathrow
0 HTTP header overflows
0 Objects sent with sendfile
1 Objects sent with write
1 Total Sessions
1 Total Requests
0 Total pipe
0 Total pass
1 Total fetch
295 Total header bytes
90 Total body bytes
0 Session Closed
0 Session Pipeline
0 Session Read Ahead
1 Session herd
98 SHM records
27 SHM writes
0 SHM MTX contention
1 allocator requests
0 outstanding allocations
0 bytes allocated
1073741824 bytes free
1 Backend requests made

/Everything looking good to me!

But why doesn't varnishstat display the same data as telnet command
"stats" did?

Regards
Erik

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
varnishstat vs. telnet stats [ In reply to ]
Doesn't anyone have a clue what's wrong with the varnish installation?
I'm using Debian Etch and varnish is installed from the debian package on sourceforge.

The only thing that I have changed is the backen in the vcl file.

Regards
Erik
varnishstat vs. telnet stats [ In reply to ]
I used

http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/wiki/InstallationOnUbuntuDapper

build-essentials should be build-essential

varnishstat vs. telnet stats [ In reply to ]
Thank you very much. It is up n running ;)

A few question about the cache tho.

The stats are saying that it has fetched like 40 items and have had about 650 cache hits. Is this enough to tell if the cache is running, I mean, "cache hits"? that must mean that its serving from the cache?

// Erik
varnishstat vs. telnet stats [ In reply to ]
Ok. Thanks for all your help mate ;)

Erik