the Age header tells me how long a particular object has been in
varnish's cache?

-- Dirk
In message <174F3AA9-0CD5-49AF-A64F-D4926F172F93 at dirkgomez.de>, Dirk Gomez writ
es:
>I'm trying to assess whether my varnish setup is doing what I want it
>to do. What is X-Varnish's purpose?

It allows you to find the correct log-entries for the transaction.

All requets in varnish are assigned a XID number, the X-Varnish
tells you what it is, and if a cache-hit was involved, also the
XID of the transaction that put the object in the cache.

>Also am I interpreting the HTTP specs (and the c code) correctly that
>the Age header tells me how long a particular object has been in
>varnish's cache?

yes.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe