Mailing List Archive

cachefile
>Every time I restart varnishd it needs to grab every
object again from
>the backend. Is this intentional because varnishd
does not like to
>save the objects to the disk?
>
>I know that varnish should not be restarted, but it
happens and then
>a nice built up cache is empty and needs to fill up
again.

Oh, what a shame... I had such high hopes for Varnish.
I am setting up a shiny new server (multi-cpu, FreeBSD
6.2) to run a busy Zope site that has so far cranked
out 300k+ pages currently residing in Squid's cache...

Yes, we give our Zope a workout and our quite
expensive pages basically don't expire. Squid has
performed very well, but Varnish promises so much
more!

For what it's worth, I cast my vote for persistent
storage in a future version!

Ken

http://mail.yahoo.com
cachefile [ In reply to ]
In message <261901.43163.qm at web53302.mail.re2.yahoo.com>, Ken Ara writes:

>Oh, what a shame... I had such high hopes for Varnish.
>I am setting up a shiny new server (multi-cpu, FreeBSD
>6.2) to run a busy Zope site that has so far cranked
>out 300k+ pages currently residing in Squid's cache...
>
>Yes, we give our Zope a workout and our quite
>expensive pages basically don't expire. Squid has
>performed very well, but Varnish promises so much
>more!

I think you'll still find Varnish delivering much
more :-)

>For what it's worth, I cast my vote for persistent
>storage in a future version!

Noted.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
cachefile [ In reply to ]
Ken Ara <feedreader at yahoo.com> writes:
> Denis Ahrens <denis at zeno.org> writes:
> > Every time I restart varnishd it needs to grab every object again from
> > the backend. Is this intentional because varnishd does not like to
> > save the objects to the disk?
> Oh, what a shame... I had such high hopes for Varnish.

Give it a spin. I think you'll be surprised at how well it performs,
even without persistent caching.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav