package.

Ingvar

--
Packaging: A need for a devel package? [ In reply to ]
I am putting some effort in the (RedHat) rpm package again. I got a
question about a devel package. Usually, on RedHat based systems, one
typically puts things like static libraries and header files in a devel
package, like "varnish-libs-devel-1.0.3-5.i386.rpm" for instance.

Now, I wonder: Would it be appropriate with a devel package at all? Is
it thinkable that anyone would use varnish technology to build things
outside varnish itself? If so, I could use a list of actual header files
and a suggestion on where to put them (/usr/include/varnish?), and maybe
some starting point hacking documentation, if that's feasible.

If this seems nonsense, please tell, and I'll just skip the devel
package.

Ingvar

Packaging: A need for a devel package? [ In reply to ]
In message <1177012587.13533.0.camel at re.e37>, Ingvar Hagelund writes:

>Now, I wonder: Would it be appropriate with a devel package at all? Is
>it thinkable that anyone would use varnish technology to build things
>outside varnish itself?

At this point, I don't think there is any risk of that. Down the
road it is anyones guess.

I would put a devel package on the "if needs arise" list

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
Packaging: A need for a devel package? [ In reply to ]
Ingvar Hagelund skreiv:
> I am putting some effort in the (RedHat) rpm package again. I got a
> question about a devel package. Usually, on RedHat based systems, one
> typically puts things like static libraries and header files in a devel
> package, like "varnish-libs-devel-1.0.3-5.i386.rpm" for instance.
>
> Now, I wonder: Would it be appropriate with a devel package at all? Is
> it thinkable that anyone would use varnish technology to build things
> outside varnish itself? If so, I could use a list of actual header files
> and a suggestion on where to put them (/usr/include/varnish?), and maybe
> some starting point hacking documentation, if that's feasible.

It doesn't hurt either, so I think it should stay there. I had a look at
the package, and see that you strip the binaries. Stripping is handled
by rpm itself, and the debuginfo is automatically put into it's own package.

--
Roy-Magne Mo
Packaging: A need for a devel package? [ In reply to ]
Ingvar Hagelund <ingvar at linpro.no> writes:
> Now, I wonder: Would it be appropriate with a devel package at all? Is
> it thinkable that anyone would use varnish technology to build things
> outside varnish itself?

Actually, there is an API for reading log data either from shared
memory or from a file written by varnishlog, which might be useful if
only it were documented...

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer
Packaging: A need for a devel package? [ In reply to ]
Ingvar Hagelund wrote :

> Repost, just to make sure it comes through after the greylisting problem.
>
> I am putting some effort in the (RedHat) rpm package again. I got a
> question about a devel package. Usually, on RedHat based systems, one
> typically puts things like static libraries and header files in a devel
> package, like "varnish-libs-devel-1.0.3-5.i386.rpm" for instance.
>
> Now, I wonder: Would it be appropriate with a devel package at all? Is
> it thinkable that anyone would use varnish technology to build things
> outside varnish itself? If so, I could use a list of actual header files
> and a suggestion on where to put them (/usr/include/varnish?), and maybe
> some starting point hacking documentation, if that's feasible.
>
> If this seems nonsense, please tell, and I'll just skip the devel
> package.

From what Dag-Erling answered, it seems like the devel package might
make sense. If you do decide to have one, your example above isn't good
(at least for Red Hat and Fedora, SuSE, Mandriva and others do things
differently), as you would need to have for instance :

varnish (the main package with the daemon)
varnish-libs
varnish-devel (and not "varnish-libs-devel")

The "libs" only make sense to split out if some programs could require
them without requiring the main daemon. Again, from what Dag-Erling
wrote, maybe this would make sense if someone writes a varnishlog file
parser.

Attached are the files I used to build the latest varnish package I
used, in case they can be of any help.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.20-1.2943.fc6
Load : 0.30 0.29 0.27