Mailing List Archive

Questions about Setup
Hello!

I just started to look into varnish. We want to use it with TYPO3 as varnish
seems to be quite powerfull.

I have some question about the initial setup and hope to can shed some light
on me.

As far as i understood varnish can bei used in different setups:

A) On a single Server. Listening on Port 80 forwarding to localhost on a
special port.

B) On a server forwarding to different backends.

My Question, as I did not really understand the vcl conf stuff, can someone
post his vcl conf with some more explanations for one of the mentioned
szenarios.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Olivier

PS: Does anyone a working binary for macos x.. But that is different story
for now.
--

Olivier Dobberkau
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

d.k.d Internet Service GmbH
Kaiserstr. 79
60329 Frankfurt/Main

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main
Registernummer: HRB 45590
Gesch?ftsf?hrer: Olivier Dobberkau, G?tz Wegenast.

fon: 069 - 43 05 61-70
fax: 069 - 43 05 61-90
mail: olivier.dobberkau at dkd.de
home: http://www.dkd.de

aktuelle TYPO3-Projekte:
www.dosb.de - Relaunch
www.gesundheit.de - Relaunch
www.wwf.de - barrierefrei, Relaunch
Questions about Setup [ In reply to ]
----- Olivier Dobberkau <olivier.dobberkau at dkd.de> wrote:
> As far as i understood varnish can bei used in different setups:
>
> A) On a single Server. Listening on Port 80 forwarding to localhost on
> a special port.
>
> B) On a server forwarding to different backends.

You can make varnish listen on any port you want really, but port 80 will obviously be the right one for most cases.
Varnish can forward to any number of backends, be it localhost or any other server (doesn't matter too much for Varnish).

In my case we have two varnish front end servers that each hand off requests to one of two backend servers. (The reason for having two varnish servers is simply fail-over considerations, from my observations one of them could easily handle all of the load by itself.)

> My Question, as I did not really understand the vcl conf stuff, can
> someone post his vcl conf with some more explanations for one of the
> mentioned szenarios.

Maybe it would be better if you asked questions about the things you do not understand? Our config is mainly the normal config, add the backend block, and some specific exceptions for site urls we are sure we do not want cached in any way.

Regards
--
Denis Braekhus - Teknisk Ansvarlig ABC Startsiden AS
http://www.startsiden.no
Questions about Setup [ In reply to ]
am 31.03.2007 11:48 Uhr schrieb Denis Br?khus unter denis at startsiden.no:

> Maybe it would be better if you asked questions about the things you do not
> understand? Our config is mainly the normal config, add the backend block, and
> some specific exceptions for site urls we are sure we do not want cached in
> any way.

I meant that it would be nice to have some Example Config for us newbies...

Olivier
--

Olivier Dobberkau
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

mail: olivier.dobberkau at dkd.de
home: http://www.dkd.de

Questions about Setup [ In reply to ]
In message <C235BB91.35414%olivier.dobberkau at dkd.de>, Olivier Dobberkau writes:
>am 31.03.2007 11:48 Uhr schrieb Denis Br=E6khus unter denis at startsiden.no:
>
>> Maybe it would be better if you asked questions about the things you do n=
>ot
>> understand? Our config is mainly the normal config, add the backend block=
>, and
>> some specific exceptions for site urls we are sure we do not want cached =
>in
>> any way.
>
>I meant that it would be nice to have some Example Config for us newbies...

The example you are looking for, is the default VCL code which is used if
you don't specify your own VCL code.

Right now, that is not obviously available, but look in bin/varnishd/mgt_vcc.c

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
Questions about Setup [ In reply to ]
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> The example you are looking for, is the default VCL code which is used if
> you don't specify your own VCL code.
>
> Right now, that is not obviously available, but look in
> bin/varnishd/mgt_vcc.c

Actually, it is reproduced in full in the man page, which also has
examples of useful non-default configurations.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer