Steven.

--
w: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/sjm217/
Getting useful information from a varnishd crash [ In reply to ]
I've been running varnish-1.0.2 for about a month, and it generally
works well, but it has stopped running twice (I presume a crash).
Since it only keeps in-memory logs, I am a bit in the dark about what
went wrong.

What is the best way I could use to find out what the problem is, so I
can either fix it or submit a useful bug report?

Thanks,
Steven.

--
w: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/sjm217/
Getting useful information from a varnishd crash [ In reply to ]
In message <20070402101044.GB8634 at cl.cam.ac.uk>, Steven Murdoch writes:
>I've been running varnish-1.0.2 for about a month, and it generally
>works well, but it has stopped running twice (I presume a crash).
>Since it only keeps in-memory logs, I am a bit in the dark about what
>went wrong.

If you can reproduce the problem, try running varnishd in the foreground
with -d -d options (yes, twice).

>What is the best way I could use to find out what the problem is, so I
>can either fix it or submit a useful bug report?

Do you have a core dump ?

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
Getting useful information from a varnishd crash [ In reply to ]

Getting useful information from a varnishd crash [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 03:15:51PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> If you can reproduce the problem, try running varnishd in the foreground
> with -d -d options (yes, twice).

I don't know how to reproduce it. It last happened at a fairly quiet
time, so I don't think it is load related. Perhaps it was some odd
HTTP request or unlikely race condition.

It could be several weeks before the next crash, so I'm not sure what
the performance hit would be if I left it in debug mode permanently.

> >What is the best way I could use to find out what the problem is, so I
> >can either fix it or submit a useful bug report?
>
> Do you have a core dump ?

Unfortunately core dumps appear to have been disabled by default. I've
just enabled them for varnishd and they do seem to be generated on
SIGQUIT. Hopefully that will catch it next time around.

Thanks,
Steven.

--
w: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/sjm217/
Getting useful information from a varnishd crash [ In reply to ]

Getting useful information from a varnishd crash [ In reply to ]
Steven Murdoch <varnish+Steven.Murdoch at cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> I've been running varnish-1.0.2 for about a month, and it generally
> works well, but it has stopped running twice (I presume a crash).
> Since it only keeps in-memory logs, I am a bit in the dark about what
> went wrong.
>
> What is the best way I could use to find out what the problem is, so I
> can either fix it or submit a useful bug report?

First of all, please upgrade to 1.0.3 before reporting any bugs.

Second, you can run 'varnishlog -w filename' to capture complete logs
to file. See the varnishlog man page for additional details.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer
Getting useful information from a varnishd crash [ In reply to ]