Mailing List Archive

Springtime for VDD ?
A bugwash or two ago we talked about having a VDD "soonish",
did anybody do more about that ?

Does anybody want to do more about that ?

Poul-Henning

phk@FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
Re: Springtime for VDD ? [ In reply to ]
Not sure about doing but providing there is enough notice, I'd love to
attend.

If there is anything I can do to help moving this forward please do let me
know.

Re: Springtime for VDD ? [ In reply to ]
We would be very happy to host a VDD here in Oslo. We have a medium sized
(8) meeting room available, and we can organize lunch in our canteen, plus
snacks to keep the blood sugar high during the day.

The tricky point is to agree on the dates I guess. The meeting room is
available when we want it, so that's easy. Our usual suspects are all back
in the office now, and the calendars look compatible with most dates
(though the waters are treacherous in May wrt holidays :)

To get things started, I will suggest Wednesday 9th of May. That is the day
before the Ascension-day, so assuming that is a holiday for everyone it
would be possible to spend an extra spring day in Oslo.

Martin

Re: Springtime for VDD ? [ In reply to ]
--------
In message <CANTn4cq1ayn2imURPL1oBJ4mOh_mnAATuTLoER6fMBFU+GqV6Q@mail.gmail.com>
, Martin Blix Grydeland writes:

>To get things started, I will suggest Wednesday 9th of May. That is the day
>before the Ascension-day, so assuming that is a holiday for everyone it
>would be possible to spend an extra spring day in Oslo.

How about making a doodle.com with some possible dates, and lets see
what people say ?

Re: Springtime for VDD ? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 9:00 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> A bugwash or two ago we talked about having a VDD "soonish",
> did anybody do more about that ?
>
> Does anybody want to do more about that ?

As I'm going to be away while the VDD is being organized, I'm dumping
here the topics I'd like to cover for the September release (this is
also a reminder for my future self).

First, actionable items I can/wish to deliver. I have discussed each
with at least one developer from VS and a VDD would be a good time to
quickly present them (as they are quite small in scope) to the rest:

- selinux
- extensions to the VSL query syntax
- (some) performance improvements for VSL consumers
- client side latency

That's in no particular order. If I can't make it to the VDD I'll
either start one thread for each on this list or bring them up during
bugwashes. As those have already been discussed, they shouldn't take
much time to cover. This is more about getting an OK before working on
them now that they have been fleshed out.

There's another topic I'd like to present around connection pools,
only to figure whether I'm not alone thinking this is a problem, and
also figure out new problems it could create. Once again if it doesn't
land on the VDD's agenda I'll either start a thread, open an issue or
bring it up during a bugwash.

Cheers,
Dridi
Re: Springtime for VDD ? [ In reply to ]
--------
In message <CANTn4cq1ayn2imURPL1oBJ4mOh_mnAATuTLoER6fMBFU+GqV6Q@mail.gmail.com>, Martin Blix Grydeland writes:

>To get things started, I will suggest Wednesday 9th of May.

As some of you may have heard, negotiations about public employees
wages are not going too well here in Denmark, and we may have what
amounts to a general strike on our hands pretty soon. Amongst other
things, that will paralyze traffic, so I may not be able to get
anywhere if that happens.

I still think we should plan on a VDD meeting (see previous
email about a doodle) but it may be wise to not buy unrefundable
flight tickets until we know if I'm stuck in Denmark or not...

Re: Springtime for VDD ? [ In reply to ]
I've created a doodle, putting all dates in May that are not public
holidays here.

https://doodle.com/poll/tbhgzk93p4x9hfx2

Martin

Re: Springtime for VDD ? [ In reply to ]
The date has been set: Monday May 14th