pcre2 support in varnish ?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards.
Re: varnish and pcre2 [ In reply to ]
On 22/11/16 14:41, David CARLIER wrote:
> You probably thought of it but is there any plan (next year ?) to implement
> pcre2 support in varnish ?

IIRC Geoff has a pcre2 version of https://code.uplex.de/uplex-varnish/libvmod-re
in the works

Re: varnish and pcre2 [ In reply to ]

On 11/22/2016 11:22 PM, Nils Goroll wrote:
> On 22/11/16 14:41, David CARLIER wrote:
>> You probably thought of it but is there any plan (next year ?) to
>> implement pcre2 support in varnish ?
>
> IIRC Geoff has a pcre2 version of
> https://code.uplex.de/uplex-varnish/libvmod-re in the works

"In the works" is saying too much, more like kicking around the idea.
Real Soon Now in my Copious Free Time.

I haven't heard any developers talking about pcre2, and I suspect that
support via VMODs for new regex libraries is the most likely path
forward. One of the reasons for introducing VMODs was to lessen the
burden on the main project to add and maintain new features, and it
seems to me that this is a good case for that.

This one, for example, supports use of Google re2:

https://code.uplex.de/uplex-varnish/libvmod-re2

@David, do you have a use case for pcre2? I haven't heard much about
it, for example whether or how much it performs better than original
pcre. Just the fact that the pcre project will be going forward with
pcre2 is a good reason to support it. Any other arguments for it would
help to move the VMOD out of the vaporware column.

Best,
Geoff
- --
** * * UPLEX - Nils Goroll Systemoptimierung

Scheffelstraße 32
22301 Hamburg

Tel +49 40 2880 5731
Mob +49 176 636 90917
Fax +49 40 42949753

http://uplex.de

Re: varnish and pcre2 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

@Geoff your answer makes sense, so to explain some people start to install
pcre2 over pcre due to pcre's security flaws rather than supposely
performance increases (I do not think there is really). Plus I have
submitted a pcre2 support this week to haproxy which might land in the next
branch. I was just curious how other softwares was doing ;)

Kind regards.

Re: varnish and pcre2 [ In reply to ]
--------
In message <CA+XhMqz8XcobkAHm+A3Cc7EZt3SUk1vKhppVC3T2-CxqHB8+Zg@mail.gmail.com>, David CARLIER writes:

>Hi dear developers,
>
>You probably thought of it but is there any plan (next year ?) to implement
>pcre2 support in varnish ?

I will just echo what Geoff said: If we support pcre2 it will be as a VMOD.

(In hindsight, it was a mistake to pull in pcre, rather than stick with
POSIX regexps, but we didn't have VMODS back then, so it was either or.)

If we find that practically everybody "import pcre2" in their VCL, we will
probably drag that VMOD into the main project, otherwise it will live
independently.

phk@FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe

Re: varnish and pcre2 [ In reply to ]

Re: varnish and pcre2 [ In reply to ]
@Geoff

I agree with you, there s no urgency to implement it, althought the API of
pcre2 is way better designed (ie the ovec array resulting from the match is
properly sized now for example) but more for the near future indeed, anyway
in Haproxy the developement is done but won t be available before next year.

Re: varnish and pcre2 [ In reply to ]
--------
In message <c881243c-bc6f-375f-bf89-3576e18739fc@uplex.de>, Geoff Simmons writes:

>Philip Hazel's plan is to continue maintaining the original pcre lib
>only for bug fixes, and all new features will go into pcre2. At some
>point in the mid to long term, old pcre might become just too old. I
>suspect that will be when everyone will be importing a VMOD for regexen.

Name it wisely then, ot they will all curse your name on a daily basis :-)

Re: varnish and pcre2 [ In reply to ]