Mailing List Archive

trac css / js plans for future releases
Hi all.

since i play around with some UI stuff in my plugin i noticed if I want to
sneak in a framework like bootstrap it works in basic but it messes some of
the basic layout in trac. This is caused by naming conflict in trac.css and
the bootstrap css. So my question is, will there be a kind of naming
convention for css classes in trac? I notices some naming ist already
prefixed with a "trac" prefix so if this is keept up for the whole css
classes i would be much easier to bring in other frameworks for styling.

here is an example :

[image: image.png]

thats a default styling of the main nav in trac

and if i pull in the bootstrap CDN
[image: image.png]

i know i could make a tailored version of bootstrap and ship it with the
plugin but i guess a cleaner solution would be to introduce a consistent
naming for css.
cheers

MArkus

Re: trac css / js plans for future releases [ In reply to ]

See https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/5997

--
Jun Omae <jun66j5@gmail.com> (?? ?)

Re: trac css / js plans for future releases [ In reply to ]
okay this tells me there was/is an effort to do so but what is the latest
development on it? I use a trunk installation here and as i pointed out
in my initial email there is some collision still so i asume there wasnt a
full rewrite possible ?

cheers

Markus

Re: trac css / js plans for future releases [ In reply to ]
On 2023/01/25 20:44, Markus Rosjat wrote:
> okay this tells me there was/is an effort to do so but what is the latest development on it? I use a trunk installation here and as i pointed out
> in my initial email there is some collision still so i asume there wasnt a full rewrite possible ?
>
> cheers
>
> Markus

In my opinion, it is not recommended to use CSS frameworks such as Bootstrap. I
usually develop plugins using only css in Trac core and jquery-ui css (bundled
in Trac) so that the plugin's web pages have the same look and feel as Trac.

> i know i could make a tailored version of bootstrap and ship it with the
> plugin but i guess a cleaner solution would be to introduce a consistent
> naming for css.

That would be ideal, but the changes would require to fix web pages in every
plugin. At least, I have no plan to add "trac-" prefix to id/class names in
Trac 1.6.

--
Jun Omae <jun66j5@gmail.com> (?? ?)