Mailing List Archive

Password setup/corruption
Hi,

I'm very new to Trac but have just setup a new Bitnami Trac VM to migrate a
set of CloudForge Trac projects to (as CloudForge is closing soon).

I am now in the position where I have been able to create new Trac projects
using the trac-admin ... initenv command, i am now experimenting with using
sqlite3 command line to import the sql dumps that CloudForge have provided.

When I imported directly over a freshly created project I got a series of
errors on the sqlite3 command line but all issues appeared to import, wiki
did not.

Next step I decided to try was to use the sqlite3 command line to DELETE
FROM all tables before the import but this has now set the site to require
a login and I am now stuck. I tried to setup a login using htpasswd -n
which accepted the change for my Trac username but this is being rejeceted
by the site.

I am lost as to what process I should follow here. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Mike

Re: Password setup/corruption [ In reply to ]
Hi Michael,

for migration it should be simply moving files from one machine to the
other, ok i talk about stand alone trac but sqlite is a file and when your
trac ini was working you just need to make sure the sqlite file is in the
same path or adjust trac.ini

at the end of the day migration to a new machine isnt more than that, well
you might need to check plugins if you migrate to a other version of trac
but migrating a project isnt more then copy files

cheers

MArkus

Re: Password setup/corruption [ In reply to ]
On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 11:20:02 AM UTC-7, Markus Rosjat wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> for migration it should be simply moving files from one machine to the
> other, ok i talk about stand alone trac but sqlite is a file and when your
> trac ini was working you just need to make sure the sqlite file is in the
> same path or adjust trac.ini
>
> at the end of the day migration to a new machine isnt more than that, well
> you might need to check plugins if you migrate to a other version of trac
> but migrating a project isnt more then copy files
>
> cheers
>
> MArkus

Right. Just copy the environment directory from the old machine to new
machine.
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracBackup

Did CloudForge provide you with a copy of the Trac environment?

If they were running PostgreSQL or MySQL you will need to load the SQL. If
SQLite, it's just a file like MArkus mentioned and not SQL load is needed.

Could you list the files that Cloud Forge has provided you? Which Trac
version were they running and which are you running?

You'll need to run upgrade if the Trac major version changes. Make sure to
read TracUpgrade if your major version changes.
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracUpgrade

- Ryan

Re: Password setup/corruption [ In reply to ]
Hi again ,

> If they were running PostgreSQL or MySQL you will need to load the SQL. If
> SQLite, it's just a file like MArkus mentioned and not SQL load is needed.

yeah I use postgres as a backend and my workflow is pretty simple

- create the user in postgres with the pw
- create the db and grant user rights
- restore the sql dumb

at this point stuff should be ready , and yeah try to use same names and pw
so you dont need to care about the connection string in the trac.ini

cheers

Markus

Re: Password setup/corruption [ In reply to ]
Thanks Markus,

Unfortunately I don't have access to the original machine as this is from a
hosted service (CloudForge) - I only have the snapshot they've provided
which evidently included a dump of the database and not the actual database
file. I managed to get round this but the issue is that the original Trac
user accounts no longer seen to be valid.

I've managed to log in using the bitnami credentials these are accessible
via the command line. I just can't work out how to add credentials for the
original user accounts?

Does this make sense?

Cheers,
Michael

Re: Password setup/corruption [ In reply to ]
Hi Ryan,

I did start a stackoverflow question
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62954787/migrating-a-trac-project>on
this but managed to resolve that question myself and before stumbling on
this mailing list.

CloudForge was using Trac 0.12.5, new VM uses Trac 1.5.1, they provided the
same sort of project folder structure so I assumed to copy across to the
new project but got stuck on the database which I had to load using the
sqlite3 command line.

I'm pretty sure I copied across the full directory structure to the latest
test project I have - the users have just not been migrated to the new VM.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

Re: Password setup/corruption [ In reply to ]
Hi Michael,

please be aware that db access and trac access two different things! the db
user is imply there to read and write to the db. Users in Trac
authentication is handled by different methods like htdigest. so you need
to figure out what method is used, for htdigest you usually have a file
with the login informations (shouldnt be accessible from web!)

hope this gets you a bit further, regarding the dump , i dont know if
sqlite has a special "dump" or simple a backup of the db file.

again db user and trac users are diffrent things!

cheers

MArkus

Re: Password setup/corruption [ In reply to ]
Ok, I think I need to do more investigation.

Cheers,
Mike

Re: Password setup/corruption [ In reply to ]
Hey Mike,

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 10:22:32 PM UTC+2, Michael Crookes wrote:

> Ok, I think I need to do more investigation.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

I also answered to you stackoverflow question , there i said something
about the cedential file you mentioned there. Maybe this helps.

Cheers

Markus

Re: Password setup/corruption [ In reply to ]

On the SO issue you said:
> When I setup the new project I note that I left the default (unedited)
database string but I have no idea what database type was used for the
original CloudForge Trac project i.e. is there an additional step to
restore the database.

The database string will be contained in trac.ini: [trac] database

If the string is "database = sqlite:d/trac.db", then you have SQLite.

If you have an SQL dump, it's likely from MySQL and PostgreSQL. I suppose
they might give you an SQLite dump, but that seems non-sensical. You can't
load into another database type. You'll need to load into the same database
type that was dumped, then you can use "trac-admin convert_db" command if
you wish to switch databases.

https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracEnvironment#ChangingDatabaseBackend

If they did give you an SQLite database dump, then you should recreate the
db from the dump file rather than starting with a trac.db created by
initenv:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/311718/121694

Doing the latter is the reason you had to delete tables. "initenv" is
creating tables and then you have to do extra work to undo that.

I wouldn't "initenv", then copy the environment over the top of the new
environment. Instead:

1. Copy your environment backup to the intended location (not overwriting
any existing files).
2. Create $env/db/trac.db using the dump file.

You can go from 0.12.5 -> 1.5.1 using "trac-admin upgrade" after you
correctly load the database.

- Ryan

Re: Password setup/corruption [ In reply to ]
On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 1:07:07 PM UTC-7 markus...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> please be aware that db access and trac access two different things! the
> db user is imply there to read and write to the db. Users in Trac
> authentication is handled by different methods like htdigest. so you need
> to figure out what method is used, for htdigest you usually have a file
> with the login informations (shouldnt be accessible from web!)
>
> hope this gets you a bit further, regarding the dump , i dont know if
> sqlite has a special "dump" or simple a backup of the db file.
>
> again db user and trac users are diffrent things!
>
> cheers
>
> MArkus

Right, db access is configured in trac.ini with "[trac] database" option.
You don't need a special user for SQLite. The SQLite file needs to be owned
by the webserver user and have r/w access for that user. For MySQL and
PostgreSQL you'll need to make a user in those systems, and that user in
embedded in the [trac] database string.

There's also a difference between authentication and authorization. The
former is being discussed: htdigest or htpasswd are two common methods.

Authorization is handled by permissions that are granted using "trac-admin
$env permission add ..."

- Ryan

Re: Password setup/corruption [ In reply to ]
Hi guys,

Just to update you I think I'm sorted now - I have manged to add the
required users as suggested to the apache servers htpasswd file as required
(thanks Markus for the -c info).

I have added users as per the Trac installation and this works fine. I did
spend some time looking into the AccountManager plugin but at the moment
this is just a nice to have and not required.

Thanks all for your help and patience.

Just a bit off topic - why do you guys not use StackOverflow?

Cheers,
Mike

Re: Password setup/corruption [ In reply to ]
Hi Micheal,

On Monday, July 20, 2020 at 7:58:06 PM UTC+2, Michael Crookes wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Just to update you I think I'm sorted now - I have manged to add the
> required users as suggested to the apache servers htpasswd file as required
> (thanks Markus for the -c info).
>
> I have added users as per the Trac installation and this works fine. I did
> spend some time looking into the AccountManager plugin but at the moment
> this is just a nice to have and not required.
>
> Thanks all for your help and patience.
>
> Just a bit off topic - why do you guys not use StackOverflow?
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

good to hear you sorted stuff out. rgarding StackOverflow, I used to post
there once in a while but to many oppinionated Mods around so i basically
stoped doing it activly.

Cheers

Markus