Mailing List Archive

Email/IM Notifications
This is in reference to http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/ticket/14

On a quick side note, I don't see any actual information in that ticket:
there's a huge yellow box w/ no text in the middle, and its description is
blank. I see references to summary changes and comments but no text is
visible. *blink*

Anyways: I was wondering what was being considered for this? In the comments
it appears that component owners would receive notification.

My first question is, how are you going to get an email address? I rather
approve of the authentication and login information being handed off to
Apache to deal with, since it lets me easily use the same auth info and
mechanisms as I use for my Subversion server.

So, are you going to create a 'user' table that lets a user associate an
email address/other information with a name after they've logged in?

What I'm looking for is the person who an issue is assigned to, and any
users in the 'CC' field, to all get notifications when the issue is changed.
The simplist solution, which may not work for anyone but me, would be to
pass the list of all these users followed by the message off to an external
command. I know the email address associated with 'shansen' in my
environment-- even if its not available to Trac currently.

Like:

/path/sendmsg shansen kenb jfoobar 'modified by shansen: severity changed
from normal to critical'

Or, heck, just calling a python 'plugin' like

import trachooks
getattr(wikihooks, 'mail_change_notify')(users, issueNum, msg)

The 'users' being: componentOwner + issueOwner + ' '.split(ccText)

..etc. Then I can associate names-with-addresses and do all the things I
want and need to do.

Anyways. I just wanted to know what you guys had been planning before I
showed up :) Thanks for the info.

--Stephen
Email/IM Notifications [ In reply to ]
Stephen Hansen wrote:
> This is in reference to http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/ticket/14
>
> On a quick side note, I don't see any actual information in that ticket:
> there's a huge yellow box w/ no text in the middle, and its description is
> blank. I see references to summary changes and comments but no text is
> visible. *blink*

ah, that'd be my fault. :) A bug in the css on the projects.edgewall.com
website I see now... *shamefully fixes*

> Anyways: I was wondering what was being considered for this? In the comments
> it appears that component owners would receive notification.
>
> My first question is, how are you going to get an email address? I rather
> approve of the authentication and login information being handed off to
> Apache to deal with, since it lets me easily use the same auth info and
> mechanisms as I use for my Subversion server.

At its simplest, if a reporter enters an email address in the 'reporter' or
'cc' field, it should be used for notification (if you check a "keep me
posted" checkbox on the same form).

> So, are you going to create a 'user' table that lets a user associate an
> email address/other information with a name after they've logged in?

Precisely. We'll need a 'user' table for various settings later on anyway,
like time zone, possible personalized views etc etc. :)

> What I'm looking for is the person who an issue is assigned to, and any
*snip*

> Or, heck, just calling a python 'plugin' like

This is what we had in mind for notification. A simple notificaton module
could simply execute a system command for notification, but we'll have a
built-in email notification module using python's smtplib.

To customize it, you could simply subclass the module and add the stuff you
need for your environment.

Daniel Lundin | Edgewall Software
daniel@edgewall.com | Professional GNU/Linux & Open Source Consulting
http://www.edgewall.com/