Mailing List Archive

RSS thoughts
I used the RSS features in trac today for the first time, and it opened my eyes to a lot of possibilities.

One of the best uses I can see for this would be for a developer to subscribe to the 'My tickets' reports, so they will be notified when a ticket is assigned to them. However, in our company we are usually running ~10 client projects at once (each with their own repository and tickets so that means ~10 tracs), and developers will be working on several projects at once, and may (because of special skills/knowledge) get assigned something on a project they don't even know has started.

As a solution to this I started thinking about an RSS aggregator server that will automatically scan a directory of trac projects, and pull this feed from all of them, aggregating it into a single feed. For performance it might cache this. Developers could then subscribe to a single feed that would cover all projects automatically.

Has anyone done anything like this yet?

My only disappointment (cause it's a really great feature) is that the aggregator I am using doesn't support WikiFormatting, which means when I view the description of a ticket from the above report it look like this:

"* easy entry and tracking of issues * allows anyone to record an issue, bug, etc that concerns them without any hassle * gives an overview of all technical issues relating to a project * allows people to 'pick up work' if they have downtime, thereby minimising truly 'lost' time"

instead of being nicely formatted.

So, (i) does anyone know of an aggregator that understands Wiki formatting, and (ii) do people think it would be a good idea to have an RSS option where the wiki text is formatted to look nice in text-only?

Thanks and best regards,

Ian.