Mailing List Archive

Trac Repository Browser bypasses SVN permissions
Hi,

If you have Subversion set up using an Apache server with the
authz_svn_module providing directory level access control and you set up
Trac, the Trac browser neatly bypasses the access control.

This is quite a likely scenario as you will no doubt be running Trac on
the same Apache server as you Subversion install.

It is only a problem if you don't want all your users to be able to read
the whole repository, but in this case it renders the Trac repository
browser unusable. My example is a private company project with nothing
is visible to unauthenticated users some with r/w and some only read
privileges. We also have a contractor who should only be allowed to
read and write under certain directories on one project.

Is there anyway that Trac could check with the authz_svn_module to see
if it is OK to browse a particular part of the repository? Is there a
library in Subversion for this?

Which level of access does Trac use to read from the subversion
repository: repository layer, repository access layer or client layer?

Cheers,
Felix
Trac Repository Browser bypasses SVN permissions [ In reply to ]
Hi Felix,

see http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/wiki/FineGrainedPermissions

> Which level of access does Trac use to read from the subversion
> repository: repository layer, repository access layer or client layer?

The repository layer (RA isn't available because the Python bindings
are not usable yet, IIUC).

Cheers,
Chris
--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de
Trac Repository Browser bypasses SVN permissions [ In reply to ]
Thanks for that Christopher. It is great to see someone was on to the
problem before I really realised it! I guess I should have searched for
active issues on this before posting. ;-)

Eagerly awaiting an announcement on completion....

Cheers,
Felix