Mailing List Archive

Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs
Hello,

I am a *nix newbie

I am trying to boot a DOS boot disk using PXE (to Ghost on windows
images).

We have an existing PXE server which successfully serves out PXElinux and
Fedora builds based on that but my floppy disk image with memdisk isn't
working

I have tried a few different floppy images which people have posted as
ones that work for them but I doubt the disk is the problem as the hang
occurs before memdisk itself seems to have even loaded:

and then nothing more....

I only found one other post with the same symptoms.
http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2002-April/000346.html

The guy who set up the server says that the versions of isolinux etc are
the latest.

This is from my config file (I tried all these variations but the same
result):

label 20
kernel memdisk keeppxe
append initrd=test.ima floppy

label test
kernel memdisk
append initrd=dos/bart.img keeppxe

label a
kernel memdisk
append initrd=dos/net.img floppy

label b
kernel memdisk
append initrd=dos/netlg.ima floppy

label c
kernel memdisk
append initrd=dos/net.img raw

label d
kernel memdisk
append initrd=dos/netlg.ima raw

label e
kernel memdisk
append initrd=dos/netlg.ima floppy raw

Any ideas much appreciated!

This email may contain privileged/confidential information. You may not copy or disclose this email to anyone without the written permission of the sender. If you have received this email in error please kindly delete this message and notify the sender. Opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender and not necessarily the opinions of the employer.

This email and any attached files should be scanned to detect viruses. No liability will be accepted by the employer for loss or damage (whether caused by negligence or not) as a result of email transmission.
Re: Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs [ In reply to ]
Eileen.Mcnaughton@alcatel-lucent.co.nz wrote:

> The guy who set up the server says that the versions of isolinux etc are
> the latest.

Ask him which specific version it is.

-hpa

Re: Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs [ In reply to ]
Syslinux-3.51 compiled on RHE4 platform running kernal 2.6.9-5.ELsmp #1
and all current patches.

Eileen McNaughton
Alcatel-Lucent
Test Engineer
eileen.mcnaughton@alcatel-lucent.co.nz
027 274 9407

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>
Sent by: syslinux-bounces@zytor.com
20/07/2007 10:16 a.m.
Please respond to
For discussion of SYSLINUX and tftp-hpa <syslinux@zytor.com>

For discussion of SYSLINUX and tftp-hpa <syslinux@zytor.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [syslinux] Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs

Re: Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs [ In reply to ]
Hello Eileen,

because of the *. ima extension I suppose you use using WinImage you create
your DOS Bootdisk. If you want to use ghost for imaging I suppose you don't
use a 1.4 MB Floppyimage. How do you you create your boot image and what's
the size.

To narrow your problem:
* Try first to use a standard 1,4 MB floppy that also boots from floppy
drive.
* Don't use the DOS-Version of Windows ME (Freedos, MS Dos 5.0 till Win 98
SE would bee ok) because this version will not boot via pxe.
* If you use himem in your config.sys, use the /testmem:off switch
(otherwise this can overwrite pxe/memdisk).
* Make sure (if possible at least for testing purpose) that a floppy drive
is attached to and activated in bios of the pxe-client (because of buggy
pxe implemetations).
* If you want to create a 2,8MB floppy image with winimage, read first a
bootable normal 1,4 MB floppy, change format in WinImage to 2,8MB and add
then extra Files to image.
* If you aren't experienced this WinImage and pxelinux/memdisk don't use
master boot images greater 2,8 MB
* If you create boot floppies greater then 2,8MB with Winimage your config
file memdisk needs the floppy and c,h,s parameters (normaly something like
c=225 s=36 h=4,8 or 16).
* Images greater 2,8MB must be uncompressed (ima) images, the smaller ones
can use compressed (imz) format.

If you need a greater bootimage please email me personaly and I can send
you a master image and the corresponding template for your config file
(just copy your files into this).

Mit freundlichen Gruessen - Yours sincerely

Peter Leenders

Eileen.Mcnaughton
@alcatel-lucent.c
o.nz To
Sent by: syslinux@zytor.com
syslinux-bounces@ cc
zytor.com
Subject
[syslinux] Help Memdisk + Pxelinux
19.07.2007 23:43 hangs

Please respond to
For discussion of
SYSLINUX and
tftp-hpa
<syslinux@zytor.c
om>

Re: Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs [ In reply to ]
> * Images greater 2,8MB must be uncompressed (ima) images, the smaller ones
> can use compressed (imz) format.

They what? I gzip all my images.

--
ian

Re: Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs [ In reply to ]
Hello Ian,

sorry that I was a bit inaccurate.

If one uses WinImage to create floppy bootimage you have the option to save
the image as compressed or uncompressed image. Memdisk can handle this
(special?) format of WinImage compressed *. imz files for floppy images
smaller/equal than 2,8MB. My experience was that memdisk can not handle the
*.imz format for greater superfloppy images (no patitiontable).

I guess for harddisk-type images - with partion table - a later compression
with gzip will work. I did only a few test with usbstick images and this
was quite some time ago.

I don't know if it is possible to compress a superfloppy image later with
gzip - would be nice to hear if some has used this and it works.

Yours sincerely
Peter Leenders

Re: Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs [ In reply to ]
Peter.Leenders@computacenter.com wrote:

> sorry that I was a bit inaccurate.
>
> If one uses WinImage to create floppy bootimage you have the option to save
> the image as compressed or uncompressed image. Memdisk can handle this
> (special?) format of WinImage compressed *. imz files for floppy images
> smaller/equal than 2,8MB. My experience was that memdisk can not handle the
> *.imz format for greater superfloppy images (no patitiontable).

No, that's because larger images (except LS-120 images of the exactly
right size) need the geometry specified on the command line; geometry is
determined after decompression. As long as the images are gzipped it
shouldn't matter.

-hpa

Re: Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs [ In reply to ]
Many thanks to Peter and Ian for their help!

I put the older version of Memdisk that Ian sent me in place of the file
on the server and it started to actually load the images. Some of my
images didn't work and some did - the one I settled on in the end was a
(2.8MB) copy of the universal bootdisk from http://www.netbootdisk.com/
which is a bit slower to load than some but supports lots of network
cards.

I actually had tried re-downloading and recompiling the latest version of
Memdisk so I don't know if there is something about the version or it's to
do with what I (and the guy before me who actually knows about Unix) did.

Anyway, thank you

Eileen McNaughton
Alcatel-Lucent
Test Engineer
eileen.mcnaughton@alcatel-lucent.co.nz
027 274 9407

Peter.Leenders@computacenter.com
Sent by: syslinux-bounces@zytor.com
20/07/2007 06:30 p.m.

syslinux@zytor.com

Re: Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs [ In reply to ]
Eileen.Mcnaughton@alcatel-lucent.co.nz wrote:
> Many thanks to Peter and Ian for their help!
>
> I put the older version of Memdisk that Ian sent me in place of the file
> on the server and it started to actually load the images. Some of my
> images didn't work and some did - the one I settled on in the end was a
> (2.8MB) copy of the universal bootdisk from http://www.netbootdisk.com/
> which is a bit slower to load than some but supports lots of network
> cards.
>
> I actually had tried re-downloading and recompiling the latest version of
> Memdisk so I don't know if there is something about the version or it's to
> do with what I (and the guy before me who actually knows about Unix) did.

This is a regression, though, which makes me concerned.

Could you try syslinux 3.52-pre4 and see if it works? Also, what is the
older version that you say works?

-hpa

Re: Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs [ In reply to ]
OK,

Back to that Unix Newbie thing I mentioned - how do I tell the version...

Ian sent it to me so I didn't download it.

In the download of the 3.52-pre4 version - there is a file called
'memdisk' - is that a compiled file - can I just copy it across?

Eileen

Eileen McNaughton
Alcatel-Lucent
Test Engineer
eileen.mcnaughton@alcatel-lucent.co.nz
027 274 9407

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>
Sent by: syslinux-bounces@zytor.com
23/07/2007 03:50 p.m.

Re: Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs [ In reply to ]
Eileen.Mcnaughton@alcatel-lucent.co.nz wrote:
> OK,
>
> Back to that Unix Newbie thing I mentioned - how do I tell the version...
>
> Ian sent it to me so I didn't download it.

It should print out during the startup messages.

> In the download of the 3.52-pre4 version - there is a file called
> 'memdisk' - is that a compiled file - can I just copy it across?

Yes.

-hpa

Re: Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs [ In reply to ]
It's 2.08.

What newer versions do you want me to test with?

--
ian

Re: Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs [ In reply to ]
Ian McDonald wrote:
> It's 2.08.
>
> What newer versions do you want me to test with?

3.52-pre4 first of all.

If that doesn't work, it might be necessary to bisect -- meaning doing a
binary search on the intervening versions. 2.08->3.51 is a
mind-bogglingly large step.

-hpa

Re: Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs [ In reply to ]
Hi

I don't work everyday (motherhood) but I'll try to test that other version
on Friday

Eileen McNaughton
Alcatel-Lucent
Test Engineer
eileen.mcnaughton@alcatel-lucent.co.nz
027 274 9407

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>
Sent by: syslinux-bounces@zytor.com
24/07/2007 03:30 a.m.

Re: Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs [ In reply to ]
Hi ,

Good news ...

3.52-pre4 memdisk does work!!!!

Eileen McNaughton
Alcatel-Lucent
Test Engineer
eileen.mcnaughton@alcatel-lucent.co.nz
027 274 9407

Eileen.Mcnaughton@alcatel-lucent.co.nz
Sent by: syslinux-bounces@zytor.com
25/07/2007 09:16 p.m.

syslinux-bounces@zytor.com

Re: Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs [ In reply to ]
Eileen.Mcnaughton@alcatel-lucent.co.nz wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Good news ...
>
> 3.52-pre4 memdisk does work!!!!

Good news indeed!

It's going to be time to push out 3.52 soon then...

-hpa