Mailing List Archive

pxelinux and WDS server for Vista
I am testing BDD 2007 and WDS on a Windows 2003
Server.
I have a PXE Server with tftpd32 and pxelinux boot.

Is it possible to have a menu entry that chain the
first pxe booting(pxelinux) to the WDS Server which is
on a different computer because I can't install WDS on
the TFTP pxelinux.

I have testing this entry:
LABEL TEST WDS
kernel ipadress::pxeboot.0

but the first server always respond for transfering
files after choosing this entry.

Thanks for ideas

Nicolas

Re: pxelinux and WDS server for Vista [ In reply to ]
Well, we have that setup, and here's how I've done this.

We've had to put all of the pxelinux code and config files on the WDS server.

In the WDS Manager, you'll need to turn off the option "Respond on port 67"

Setup pxelinux like you normally do, and add an entry like this:

LABEL WDS/RIS
Kernel /boot/x64/pxeboot.0 keeppxe

Then.... here's the hard part:

You may have to re-configure your bcd file, or create a new one, I'm still trying to work out the details or instructions on some of these and will post a how-to later next week.

Authenticlick, Inc.
5757 Wilshire Boulevard | Penthouse One
Los Angeles, California 90036
Tel: 323.330.0404 x202 | Fax: 323.330.0755
email: jalifrangis@authenticlick.net

Jacob Alifrangis
Director of Operations

Re: pxelinux and WDS server for Vista [ In reply to ]
nicolas gateau wrote:
> I am testing BDD 2007 and WDS on a Windows 2003
> Server.
> I have a PXE Server with tftpd32 and pxelinux boot.
>
> Is it possible to have a menu entry that chain the
> first pxe booting(pxelinux) to the WDS Server which is
> on a different computer because I can't install WDS on
> the TFTP pxelinux.
>
> I have testing this entry:
> LABEL TEST WDS
> kernel ipadress::pxeboot.0
>
> but the first server always respond for transfering
> files after choosing this entry.

Ah, right.

The issue here is that after booting, the WDS server will ask PXE for
the DHCP packet... which of course will point it right back.

In theory it's possible to modify the DHCP packet in memory, but:

a. it's known not to work on some PXE stacks;
b. surgery on a DHCP packet is a fairly delicate operation.

(a) is a bigger problem than (b); the server IP and pathname happen to
have dedicated locations in the DHCP packet which makes it slightly less
cantankerous.

If I produce a patch to do that (warning: may not happen for a few
weeks, depending on how other committments go), would you be willing to
test it out?

-hpa

Re: pxelinux and WDS server for Vista [ In reply to ]
nicolas gateau wrote:
> I am testing BDD 2007 and WDS on a Windows 2003
> Server.
> I have a PXE Server with tftpd32 and pxelinux boot.
>
> Is it possible to have a menu entry that chain the
> first pxe booting(pxelinux) to the WDS Server which is
> on a different computer because I can't install WDS on
> the TFTP pxelinux.
>
> I have testing this entry:
> LABEL TEST WDS
> kernel ipadress::pxeboot.0
>
> but the first server always respond for transfering
> files after choosing this entry.
>
> Thanks for ideas
>
> Nicolas

Nicolas,

I just ran across a howto for getting pxelinux to work from WDS. I can't
find the link at the moment, but I will try searching for it later..
otherwise perhaps a google search for 'pxelinux WDS' would reveal it's
location.

It seemed like a simple setup. throw WDS into compatibility mode and
create a template, copy over the files and have fun..

-Andrew

Re: pxelinux and WDS server for Vista [ In reply to ]
Op 22-06-2007 om 08:54 schreef Jacob Alifrangis:
> Well, we have that setup, and here's how I've done this.
>

> We've had to put all of the pxelinux code and config files on the WDS server.
>
> In the WDS Manager, you'll need to turn off the option "Respond on port 67"
>
> Setup pxelinux like you normally do, and add an entry like this:
>
> LABEL WDS/RIS
> Kernel /boot/x64/pxeboot.0 keeppxe
>
> Then.... here's the hard part:
>
> You may have to re-configure your bcd file, or create a new one,
> I'm still trying to work out the details or instructions
> on some of these and will post a how-to later next week.

Having that information in the mailinglist archive would be fine,
but I think that the Wiki ( http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki ) is
as better place.

Hope this Helps
Geert Stappers

Re: pxelinux and WDS server for Vista [ In reply to ]
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#Deploy_Linux_from_Windows_RIS_server_using_PXELinux

I wrote this how to, on how to make RIS deploy linux with PXELinux.. I
dont know if it will work with WDS out of the box but since WDS is the
successor to RIS I can't see it being completly broken.. Give it a try and
let us know it it works and if you need to modify anything please update
the wiki in the correct locations with a note mentioing changes for WDS.

Regards,

Ryan McLean
Re: pxelinux and WDS server for Vista [ In reply to ]
Just a wee update, I have had a quick play about in WDS you need to have
it running in Mixed mode or legacy mode to be able to use the older RIS
images. Also I had a small problem when i upgraded in that WDS removes
RIS, more specifically it removes the exe "binlsvc" and replaces it with
"WDSServer" which does not start by default.. my restart RIS batch file is
now:

--------------------------------
@echo off
net stop WDSServer
rem net stop binlsvc
net stop tftpd
net stop groveler

net start groveler
net start tftpd
rem net start binlsvc
net start WDSServer

pause
-------------------------------

If you cannot use PXE due to no image being sent and when you restart it
you see "system error 127" the above will correct it.

Then when you use PXE you will get a commandline menu asking what to do.
either choose a vista install or choose Remote installation services
(RIS).

Choosing RIS will get you to the original RIS deployment screen where my
tutorial comes into play to deploy linux.

Regards,

Ryan McLean
Re: pxelinux and WDS server for Vista [ In reply to ]
Ryan McLean wrote:
> Just a wee update, I have had a quick play about in WDS you need to have
> it running in Mixed mode or legacy mode to be able to use the older RIS
> images.

Hi,

do you think that it is possible to leave WDS in native mode and create
a special "boot image" for PXELINUX using the WDS command line tools?

(Re-)configuring WDS to legacy/mixed mode might not always be an option.

I must admit that I got _really_ _annnoyed_ after reading Microsoft's
Documentation on WDS. Once again M$ uses available standards (DHCP, PXE, TFTP, ...)
to build a proprietary product that refuses to cooperate with anything
but M$ products.
(See: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/9e197135-6711-4c20-bfad-fc80fc2151301033.mspx?mfr=true)

In native mode it seems that nothing but "Windows PE" can be booted and your
choice is restricted to a list of "Image Files" (max 13 entries in the menu)
that can either be

- a "Capture image"
<quote>
A capture image is a Windows PE 2.0 boot image that has been modified to launch
an image capture utility instead of setup.
</quote>

- a "Discover image"
<quote>
A discover image is a Windows PE 2.0 boot image that has been modified to force
Setup.exe to launch in Windows Deployment Services mode and discover a valid server
(it is generally used in non-PXE boot scenarios).
</quote>

- an "Install image"
<quote>
An install image is the operating system image that you deploy to the client computer.
</quote>

For having multiple PXE/TFTP servers on a network is not an easy thing to configure
-- if not impossible at all, because you'll need the DHCP server to point to the
PXE or TFTP server at some point during the boot process --
this results in "kicking non-M$ products off the net".

Axel

Re: pxelinux and WDS server for Vista [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Sorry, it may be possible to create modified images but i wouldnt even
know where to start, I don't really think it would be worth the hassle.

Why wouldnt mixed mode be an option? just use WDS for all windows based
images and then hide all you linux images in the RIS section. I created 2
security groups in my AD RIS-Admin & RIS-User. Both can add computers to
the network as i created an OU for all RIS'd computers to be placed in.
RIS-Admins have full control over the .sif files and pxelinux config files
whereas ris-users can only read and execute them.

>From what i can see RIS seems to be more secure, requiring password
authentication, whereas WDS didnt, in saying that i went as far as copying
the files for a vista install and that was it, but surely its a bit late
to require authentication at that point??

Regards,

Ryan McLean
Re: pxelinux and WDS server for Vista [ In reply to ]
Ryan McLean wrote:
> Sorry, it may be possible to create modified images but i wouldnt even
> know where to start, I don't really think it would be worth the hassle.
>
> Why wouldnt mixed mode be an option? just use WDS for all windows based
> images and then hide all you linux images in the RIS section. I created 2
> security groups in my AD RIS-Admin & RIS-User. Both can add computers to
> the network as i created an OU for all RIS'd computers to be placed in.
> RIS-Admins have full control over the .sif files and pxelinux config files
> whereas ris-users can only read and execute them.

Mixed mode might not be an option, if one isn't responsible for the WDS
server and the administrator refuses to / is afraid of switching to
mixed mode, because of
* unknown consequences
* a more sophisticated setup (--> your net start/stop sequence)
* M$ not recommending this kind of setup
* M$ possibly removing legacy support in future versions

If I were responsible for the WDS server in question, I would defintely
prefer mixed mode over native mode, but I'm not.

So, what I'd like to achieve is
* create a (native) WDS compatible boot image for pxelinux
* determine a set of simple and _reversible_ changes I would ask the WDS
adminstrator to apply, like
- copy the pxelinux boot image to ...
- edit the following config file and/or set the following registry keys
- restart the WDS services

The good news is that I have more or less full access to a WDS test installation
which I may play around with. So I could actively contribute to such a solution.
Though it feels much better not being alone ...

Cheers,
Axel

Re: pxelinux and WDS server for Vista [ In reply to ]
Dyks, Axel (XL) wrote:
> Ryan McLean wrote:
>> Sorry, it may be possible to create modified images but i wouldnt even
>> know where to start, I don't really think it would be worth the hassle.
>>
>> Why wouldnt mixed mode be an option? just use WDS for all windows based
>> images and then hide all you linux images in the RIS section. I created 2
>> security groups in my AD RIS-Admin & RIS-User. Both can add computers to
>> the network as i created an OU for all RIS'd computers to be placed in.
>> RIS-Admins have full control over the .sif files and pxelinux config files
>> whereas ris-users can only read and execute them.
>
> Mixed mode might not be an option, if one isn't responsible for the WDS
> server and the administrator refuses to / is afraid of switching to
> mixed mode, because of
> * unknown consequences
> * a more sophisticated setup (--> your net start/stop sequence)
> * M$ not recommending this kind of setup
> * M$ possibly removing legacy support in future versions
>
> If I were responsible for the WDS server in question, I would defintely
> prefer mixed mode over native mode, but I'm not.
>
> So, what I'd like to achieve is
> * create a (native) WDS compatible boot image for pxelinux
> * determine a set of simple and _reversible_ changes I would ask the WDS
> adminstrator to apply, like
> - copy the pxelinux boot image to ...
> - edit the following config file and/or set the following registry keys
> - restart the WDS services
>
> The good news is that I have more or less full access to a WDS test installation
> which I may play around with. So I could actively contribute to such a solution.
> Though it feels much better not being alone ...

Inspired by

http://blogs.artinsoft.net/jose_aguilar_blog/archive/2007/05/16/1442.aspx

I currently ask myself, if it would be possible to change the default "boot program"
(for a specific machine) to "pxelinux.0" on WDS

wdsutil.exe /set-device /Device:MACHINENAME /BootProgram:Boot\x86\pxelinux.0

and "chain boot" the original "pxeboot" loader from pxelinux

LABEL WDS
kernel pxeboot.0

LABEL linux
kernel ...

This is quite similar to what Nicolas -- who opened this thread --
was trying to do, but with the difference that the boot/tftp server
need not to be switched during the boot process.

Axel