Mailing List Archive

SYSLINUX current directory and the config file
Hi all,

I have looked a bit at what it would take to make the SYSLINUX current
directory settable when loading a new configuration file with the CONFIG
directive.

I have come to the conclusion that it would be a lot less invasive to
simply maintain the rule that the current working directory is the one
where the config file lives, *including* one loaded via the CONFIG
directive.

The obvious exception to this would be the initially loaded PXELINUX
configuration file. If there are ideas how better to handle the
PXELINUX case I would appreciate hearing them.

Would this be sufficient for people, or would everyone prefer the
full-blown solution? That would probably have to wait until post-3.50
just due to the invasiveness of some of the changes.

-hpa

Re: SYSLINUX current directory and the config file [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Would this be sufficient for people, or would everyone prefer the
> full-blown solution? That would probably have to wait until post-3.50
> just due to the invasiveness of some of the changes.

I should probably point out that if the current 3.50 behavior goes out
(CONFIG doesn't change the current directory) I don't want to break
people's config files later.

-hpa

Re: SYSLINUX current directory and the config file [ In reply to ]
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> writes:

> I have come to the conclusion that it would be a lot less invasive to
> simply maintain the rule that the current working directory is the one
> where the config file lives, *including* one loaded via the CONFIG
> directive.

Yes, that would suffice for me.

> The obvious exception to this would be the initially loaded PXELINUX
> configuration file. If there are ideas how better to handle the
> PXELINUX case I would appreciate hearing them.

The parent directory (containing pxelinux.cfg) seems like a logical
choice for me.

> Would this be sufficient for people, or would everyone prefer the
> full-blown solution? That would probably have to wait until
> post-3.50 just due to the invasiveness of some of the changes.

Btw, I tried testing those patches under Bochs, but that froze right
after printing CBIOS, much sooner than QEMU. I admit I cheated during
compilation by touching {pxe,ext,iso}linux.bin as those won't compile
without proper conditional compilation directives; hope that didn't
matter. The result is an infinite number of
00003899960i[CPU0 ] LOCK prefix unallowed (op1=0x53, attr=0x0, mod=0x0, nnn=0)
type messages pouring onto the console. Unless you declare it
worthless I'll continue looking into this as time permits.
Feri.

Re: SYSLINUX current directory and the config file [ In reply to ]
Ferenc Wagner <wferi@niif.hu> writes:

> "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> writes:
>
>> I have come to the conclusion that it would be a lot less invasive to
>> simply maintain the rule that the current working directory is the one
>> where the config file lives, *including* one loaded via the CONFIG
>> directive.
>
> Yes, that would suffice for me.

Did this change make it into 3.50?
--
Feri.

Re: SYSLINUX current directory and the config file [ In reply to ]
Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Ferenc Wagner <wferi@niif.hu> writes:
>
>> "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> writes:
>>
>>> I have come to the conclusion that it would be a lot less invasive to
>>> simply maintain the rule that the current working directory is the one
>>> where the config file lives, *including* one loaded via the CONFIG
>>> directive.
>> Yes, that would suffice for me.
>
> Did this change make it into 3.50?

No, it did not.

I realized that there is a source of complexity -- one needs to be able
to fetch the config file from its original location. This brings up a
whole slew of problems.

I will tackle the issue of changing directories in a future release, but
3.50 had been sitting for too long already. The train has to leave
sometime.

-hpa