Mailing List Archive

memtest86+.. How do I load it with pxelinux?
I've just spent at least half an hour swapping files, downloading things
and stuffing around with memtest86 and memtest86+. I can't get either to
start from pxelinux.

Currently I have "memtest86" as the filename, and i'm trying to load it
direct (not trying to use memdisk or anything). This just results in a
near instant reboot.
Am I doing something wrong? I can't find much info at all about how to
load these tools. I'd just use their ISO, but I haven't got a working CD
drive anywhere.

TB

Re: memtest86+.. How do I load it with pxelinux? [ In reply to ]
LABEL memtest86+
MENU LABEL Memtest86+
kernel pxeknife/memory_test/memtest86+/memtest86+-1.65

is what I'm using.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley

Re: memtest86+.. How do I load it with pxelinux? [ In reply to ]
Tim Bates wrote:
> I've just spent at least half an hour swapping files, downloading things
> and stuffing around with memtest86 and memtest86+. I can't get either to
> start from pxelinux.
>
> Currently I have "memtest86" as the filename, and i'm trying to load it
> direct (not trying to use memdisk or anything). This just results in a
> near instant reboot.
> Am I doing something wrong? I can't find much info at all about how to
> load these tools. I'd just use their ISO, but I haven't got a working CD
> drive anywhere.

Make sure you got the correct version of memtest86; the correct version
has a .bin extension (which you have to change unless you use 3.50-pre
with LINUX instead of KERNEL in your config file.)

Some of the 3.50-pre releases had a bug when it came to booting
memtest86; that has been fixed.

-hpa

Re: memtest86+.. How do I load it with pxelinux? [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Make sure you got the correct version of memtest86; the correct version
> has a .bin extension (which you have to change unless you use 3.50-pre
> with LINUX instead of KERNEL in your config file.)

Yep. Got the right one. I am running a pre version of pxelinux though.
Would the fact that I'm using "kernel memtest86" break it? Or should it
still just work?

> Some of the 3.50-pre releases had a bug when it came to booting
> memtest86; that has been fixed.
Any hints on which ones? I'm using the first version that the CTRL-N
network info display thing was added. Would it be a buggy one?

TB

memtest86+.. How do I load it with pxelinux? [ In reply to ]
Tim Bates tin at new-life.org.au wrote:
> I've just spent at least half an hour swapping files, downloading things
> and stuffing around with memtest86 and memtest86+. I can't get either to
> start from pxelinux.
>
> Currently I have "memtest86" as the filename, and i'm trying to load it
> direct (not trying to use memdisk or anything). This just results in a
> near instant reboot.
> Am I doing something wrong? I can't find much info at all about how to
> load these tools. I'd just use their ISO, but I haven't got a working CD
> drive anywhere.

As easy as pie:

1. Download the Memtest86 source code from http://www.memtest.org/#downcode

2. cd (source dir); cp precomp.bin /tftpboot/memtest86

3. Configure PXE booting by a file containing:
default memtest
label memtest
kernel memtest86

I documented this in
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/System_administration#network-booting-memtest86

--
Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics, Technical University of Denmark

Re: memtest86+.. How do I load it with pxelinux? [ In reply to ]
Tim Bates wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> Make sure you got the correct version of memtest86; the correct version
>> has a .bin extension (which you have to change unless you use 3.50-pre
>> with LINUX instead of KERNEL in your config file.)
>>
> Yep. Got the right one. I am running a pre version of pxelinux though.
> Would the fact that I'm using "kernel memtest86" break it? Or should it
> still just work?

>> Some of the 3.50-pre releases had a bug when it came to booting
>> memtest86; that has been fixed.
> Any hints on which ones? I'm using the first version that the CTRL-N
> network info display thing was added. Would it be a buggy one?

Yes, that's a buggy one. Upgrade and you'll be fine.

-hpa

Re: memtest86+.. How do I load it with pxelinux? [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Tim Bates wrote:
>
>> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>>
>>> Make sure you got the correct version of memtest86; the correct version
>>> has a .bin extension (which you have to change unless you use 3.50-pre
>>> with LINUX instead of KERNEL in your config file.)
>>>

>> Yep. Got the right one. I am running a pre version of pxelinux though.
>> Would the fact that I'm using "kernel memtest86" break it? Or should it
>> still just work?
>>

>>> Some of the 3.50-pre releases had a bug when it came to booting
>>> memtest86; that has been fixed.
>>>
>> Any hints on which ones? I'm using the first version that the CTRL-N
>> network info display thing was added. Would it be a buggy one?
>>

> Yes, that's a buggy one. Upgrade and you'll be fine.

OK. Done and working.