Mailing List Archive

PXELinux - Can I show the hardware address?
I have been using PXELINUX for a few years now to boot our school's PCs.
For a while I've had the school logo and blank background fill the
screen to make it look more professional, but that means I can't see the
hardware address or IP address a machine gets.

Is there a way to insert the hardware address somewhere on the screen
other than when PXELINUX first starts up and blurts out a pile of text?
I'm thinking worst case I might be able to insert it into the boot
prompt, maybe printed on the line above. Would that be easy to do?

Tim B

Re: PXELinux - Can I show the hardware address? [ In reply to ]
Op 09-05-2007 om 11:44 schreef Tim Bates:
> Is there a way to insert the hardware address somewhere on the screen
> other than when PXELINUX first starts up and blurts out a pile of text?
> I'm thinking worst case I might be able to insert it into the boot
> prompt, maybe printed on the line above. Would that be easy to do?

It is :-)

There are functions in pxelinux.0
that get the hardware address
convert that address in a string
print a string

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--
All programmers are optimists

Re: PXELinux - Can I show the hardware address? [ In reply to ]
Geert Stappers wrote:
> Op 09-05-2007 om 11:44 schreef Tim Bates:
>> Is there a way to insert the hardware address somewhere on the screen
>> other than when PXELINUX first starts up and blurts out a pile of text?
>> I'm thinking worst case I might be able to insert it into the boot
>> prompt, maybe printed on the line above. Would that be easy to do?
>
> It is :-)
>
> There are functions in pxelinux.0
> that get the hardware address
> convert that address in a string
> print a string

Yes, or you can do it via a custom com32 module.

As far as having a more convenient way to do it, I could easily see
creating a button, like Ctrl-V for the version information, to get that
information at the command line; as for integrating it into a custom
message that would take more work (and a bit of thought); I am trying to
come up with a macro framework that's reasonably clean, and it probably
should fit into it, but that's definitely post-3.50 material.

-hpa

Re: PXELinux - Can I show the hardware address? [ In reply to ]
> As far as having a more convenient way to do it, I could easily see
> creating a button, like Ctrl-V for the version information, to get that
> information at the command line;
For my needs, that would be perfect. I'm the only one that needs to see
it, and a key combo is still a lot faster than rebooting and (hopefully)
remembering to press pause at the right place.

TB

Re: PXELinux - Can I show the hardware address? [ In reply to ]
Tim Bates wrote:
>> As far as having a more convenient way to do it, I could easily see
>> creating a button, like Ctrl-V for the version information, to get that
>> information at the command line;
> For my needs, that would be perfect. I'm the only one that needs to see
> it, and a key combo is still a lot faster than rebooting and (hopefully)
> remembering to press pause at the right place.

Okay, that's easy to do. I can easily have that in 3.50.

-hpa

Re: PXELinux - Can I show the hardware address? [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Tim Bates wrote:
>>> As far as having a more convenient way to do it, I could easily see
>>> creating a button, like Ctrl-V for the version information, to get that
>>> information at the command line;
>> For my needs, that would be perfect. I'm the only one that needs to see
>> it, and a key combo is still a lot faster than rebooting and (hopefully)
>> remembering to press pause at the right place.
>
> Okay, that's easy to do. I can easily have that in 3.50.

I just implemented this and pushed it out as syslinux-3.50-pre8. Could
you please try it out? The magic keystroke is Ctrl-N.

-hpa

Re: PXELinux - Can I show the hardware address? [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> I just implemented this and pushed it out as syslinux-3.50-pre8. Could
> you please try it out? The magic keystroke is Ctrl-N.

Okay, thinko crept in, make that 3.50-pre9.

-hpa

Re: PXELinux - Can I show the hardware address? [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
>> I just implemented this and pushed it out as syslinux-3.50-pre8. Could
>> you please try it out? The magic keystroke is Ctrl-N.
> Okay, thinko crept in, make that 3.50-pre9.
Just tried it, and it works perfectly for my needs.
You're a legend.

TB