Mailing List Archive

Default Reply-To: for this list changed
It appears people are fundamentally incapable to deal with "Reply" and
the list; it's quite a pain to deal with in the presence of people with
having to deal with people trying to take things off-list at least once
a week.

-hpa

Re: Default Reply-To: for this list changed [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin schreef:
> It appears people are fundamentally incapable to deal with "Reply" and
> the list; it's quite a pain to deal with in the presence of people with
> having to deal with people trying to take things off-list at least once
> a week.
>
> -hpa

Thanks very much for this change.

Previously a 'reply' ment sending to original author, and reply-all ment
sending to author with CC to the list.
At least in my Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0-win32 this is the case.
A 'compose message to' (or whatever it's called, using a dutch client)
for 'syslinux@zytor.com' does create a new window but looses the thread
info, or at least its message contents history.
The idea of mailinglists is to keep stuff on the mailinglist instead of
bothering individual people.

Is there any different way the replying should have been done in the
past, in modern/popular electronic mail clients?

Bernd

Re: Default Reply-To: for this list changed [ In reply to ]
Bernd Blaauw wrote:

> Previously a 'reply' ment sending to original author, and reply-all ment
> sending to author with CC to the list.
> At least in my Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0-win32 this is the case.
> A 'compose message to' (or whatever it's called, using a dutch client)
> for 'syslinux@zytor.com' does create a new window but looses the thread
> info, or at least its message contents history.
> The idea of mailinglists is to keep stuff on the mailinglist instead of
> bothering individual people.
>
> Is there any different way the replying should have been done in the
> past, in modern/popular electronic mail clients?

In general, on a mailing list, you're supposed to use "Reply All". This
is due to the fact that mail program authors stubbornly refuse to
implement the "Followup" functionality which news programs have had for
20 years; the technical problems associated with that for mail have been
solved for at least 10, with the creation of the List-Post: header.

-hpa

Re: Default Reply-To: for this list changed [ In reply to ]
Op 01-05-2007 om 16:37 schreef Bernd Blaauw:
> H. Peter Anvin schreef:
> > It appears people are fundamentally incapable to deal with "Reply" and
> > the list; it's quite a pain to deal with in the presence of people with
> > having to deal with people trying to take things off-list at least once
> > a week.
> >
> > -hpa
> >
> Thanks very much for this change.

Celeberate quickly!

The universe is allready producing new ignorant people.

> Previously a 'reply' ment sending to original author, and reply-all ment
> sending to author with CC to the list.
> At least in my Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0-win32 this is the case.
> A 'compose message to' (or whatever it's called, using a dutch client)
> for 'syslinux@zytor.com' does create a new window but looses the thread
> info, or at least its message contents history.
> The idea of mailinglists is to keep stuff on the mailinglist instead of
> bothering individual people.

The idea of mailinglists is to bound people.
It is up to the mailinglist to educate their fresh ones.

Cheers
Geert Stappers

Re: Default Reply-To: for this list changed [ In reply to ]
Op 01-05-2007 om 08:18 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
> Bernd Blaauw wrote:
> >
> > Is there any different way the replying should have been done in the
> > past, in modern/popular electronic mail clients?
> >

> In general, on a mailing list, you're supposed to use "Reply All". This
> is due to the fact that mail program authors stubbornly refuse to
> implement the "Followup" functionality which news programs have had for
> 20 years; the technical problems associated with that for mail have been
> solved for at least 10, with the creation of the List-Post: header.

For "Reply-to-List" have the better E-mail clients an extra button.
Mutt uses 'l' for that function.

....some websearch....

http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2006/08/thunderbird-with-reply-to-list.html

Those who are aware of this function, appriciate it.

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--
The good thing of being childish,
is that you learn every day.

Re: Default Reply-To: for this list changed [ In reply to ]
Geert Stappers wrote:

> For "Reply-to-List" have the better E-mail clients an extra button.
> Mutt uses 'l' for that function.
>
> ....some websearch....
>
> http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2006/08/thunderbird-with-reply-to-list.html
>
> Those who are aware of this function, appriciate it.

Indeed.

-hpa