Mailing List Archive

How to boot from compact flash
--Boundary-=_BureJvBJDSOpOVPDAewTUiqWYHKk

hi,

I have a 32M compact flash card on my motherboard. It is secondary master IDE disk. Now I have to boot linux from this CF card. It is said it should have MBR on it. How can I make a MBR on it.
And every time i use " syslinux /dev/hdc ", it seems destroy my partition table.How can i do? Could you give me detailed step ?

Thanks.

--Boundary-=_BureJvBJDSOpOVPDAewTUiqWYHKk

=============================================================<br>

--Boundary-=_BureJvBJDSOpOVPDAewTUiqWYHKk--
How to boot from compact flash [ In reply to ]
Hi,

don't post HTML here.

>I have a 32M compact flash card on my motherboard. It is secondary master >IDE disk. Now I have to boot linux from this CF card. It is said it should >have MBR on it. How can I make a MBR on it.
>And every time i use " syslinux /dev/hdc ", it seems destroy my partition >table.How can i do? Could you give me detailed step ?

- which version do you use
- under which system did you try to install syslinux
- which hardware do you use

Regards,

Josef

How to boot from compact flash [ In reply to ]
jsiemes@web.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> don't post HTML here.
>

>>I have a 32M compact flash card on my motherboard. It is secondary master >IDE disk. Now I have to boot linux from this CF card. It is said it should >have MBR on it. How can I make a MBR on it.
>>And every time i use " syslinux /dev/hdc ", it seems destroy my partition >table.How can i do? Could you give me detailed step ?
>

> - which version do you use
> - under which system did you try to install syslinux
> - which hardware do you use

"syslinux /dev/hdc" attempts to install SYSLINUX on top of the MBR
(which includes the partition table.) This is obviously lethal. You
should be using "syslinux /dev/hdc1" or whatever.

Installing an MBR can be done by running the command "fdisk /mbr" under
DOS; the MBR shipped with syslinux is not yet functional.

-hpa